Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadheads hitting riser

Old 09-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Broadheads hitting riser

1995 Darton Execl
Just switched from fieldpoints to broadheads (thunder125)
At full draw the rear of the BH contacts the side of the riser.

was not a problem last year with a rail rest, I put a biscut on a month ago. The biscut was centershot setup at the shop.

Are the arrows to short?, should the BH hangout completely in front of the riser?

Or is the biscut rest off, putting the arrow to close to the riser?

Many Thanks,
Nick
Old 09-12-2006, 07:10 PM

Default RE: Broadheads hitting riser

If you have paper tuned the bow, and the rest is indeed where it needs to be, I would guess your arrows need to be a little longer.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

Agreed !
Old 09-13-2006, 05:57 PM

That is the easiest solution. I don't know that model, but some of the older bows didn't have as much of a cut out than the newer ones do. So it wouldn't hurt to cut your arrows a bit longer. Many still do this just because they don't like the idea of the broad being near their hand, or being able to put their hand infront of it.

I know a guy that will absolutely not use an arrow unless it hangs at least an inch past his risor. He was using shorter arrows with broad heads once and got his finger up in the way. Put a big old slice in his finger when the arrow left the bow.

Not the arrows fault he had bad form, but none the less it's something to consider. I shoot longer arrows than I need, but it's not because of that. I just like a particular arrow and I need to cut them long to get them to spine right for my set up.

Paul
Old 09-13-2006, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Longer shafts would fix it, but I'm imagining that you want to keep your current arrows this close to the deer season. I like them longer myself.

Is there enough room to rotate all of you rpoint inserts so that the blades are oriented in such a way as to give you maximum clearance? Would that give you enough room if they were rotated just right? I'm guessing you may have thought of this already, but if you have a 3 blade head, it just might work.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

Had the same problem till I went mechanical.
Had to insert broadhead and tighten, Heat insert and twist till clearance was made.A dangerous pain in the arse.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Bulzeye

Longer shafts would fix it, but I'm imagining that you want to keep your current arrows this close to the deer season. I like them longer myself.

Is there enough room to rotate all of you rpoint inserts so that the blades are oriented in such a way as to give you maximum clearance? Would that give you enough room if they were rotated just right? I'm guessing you may have thought of this already, but if you have a 3 blade head, it just might work.
Agree, either rotate the point insert if you can heat them and spin them, if not shooting a bisquit why not rotate the arrow nock so the blades clear?

Are you sure the rest is center shot rather than paper tuned to possible torquing? There can be a difference. Again, another reason I'm a fan of the laser tuning that Greg / MO did a review on. You can eyeball it by loading an arrow, looking down your string and estimating your limb bolts. Or from the front, perhaps your rest is too far in?

Old 09-14-2006, 04:25 AM

Something doesn't sound right. A normal sized broadhead should not hit the riser on a mid 90's bow. Paper tuning for center shot, just doesn't hack it, in my opinion. If it really had to be set that far in, I would guess that your spine is off significantly. If it isn't spine, I'd start looking for limb twist or a bent riser. In fact, I'd look for those first.

If everything appears okay with the bow, I would bareshaft test some arrows (with field tips) to check for proper spine. Only after I'd made adjustments in draw weight to match the arrow spine, would I find the centershot (by walk-back tuning).
Old 09-14-2006, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

How do the bh's shoot?

They are too short for me.

"The biscut was centershot setup at the shop." Yippy. Sounds like it's move since then. Yeh that's what happened.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Absolutely! add a 1/2 inch in length and you'll be good to go .I had this very problem last season . This seasonI added 1/2 inch to my arrow's and thing's are good now .If your not sure,maybe you have a friend or a bowshop near by that has some arrow's that are a bit longer than your's that you might try first before cutting new arrow's.

nubo