Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Anchor points (where is yours?)

Old 09-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Anchor points (where is yours?)

Here's a curiosity question... Since everyone's bow setups are somewhat similiar, but then each of us is unique, do we all pretty much anchor in the same place?

Since I'm lefty (yeah, I know it's all backwards and on the wrong side... ) my anchor point, time and time again, is right here:

Tuck my left hand index finger knuckle up under my left ear lobe, to where I just start pushing up my left ear lobe. When I do that, the peep is dead on, the sight pin is dead on, and the target is dead on, and then "THWACK!" - bullseye... all the way out to 30 yards.

How, or where is your anchor point?

Butch A.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:43 PM

Default RE: Anchor points (where is yours?)

Where my hand touches my face depends on what bow and release I use. Normally it will either be behind my jaw bone or just under my ear.

You should have more points of referance than that though. I anchor so the string touches the tip of my nose, the string touches the corner of mouth or my lips, the fletchings touch my face between my chin and bottom lip and the peep is perfectly lined up with my eye when my head is straight and erect with my body.

Get those down and your release hand has to fall in the proper place every time.

Paul
Old 09-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like you, ButchA, the knuckle of my index finger goes behind my earlobe. I also make sure the string comes across the tip of my nose and just past the corner of my mouth, and the fletch has to fit just between my bottom lip and chin.When I hit all those ponits I know I'm dead on.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmm... I wear glasses, so I can't feel the bow string on my nose. The peep is probably just barely very close to my lens of my glasses. I can feel a light brush of the fletchings on my lower jaw too.

As long as I anchor atmy left ear lobe, time and time again, I'm always dead on.

Butch A.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too wear glasses, but my bow tech made me put that string on my nose. I also have a VERY short nose. lol What a meanie he is. I hated it. Fought with him about it and in the end he was right. I just had to get used to doing things differently. After all who can really argue with a guy who has won both the IBO Triple Crown and World titles in the same year?
Old 09-11-2006, 04:52 AM

Years ago when I shot for a short while with a peep, I found that the peep would help align my anchors. For hunting reasons, I removed the peep and my shooting went way downhill. My anchors were not good enough for to be consistant.

I started studying anchors and what the best archers were recommending. I found an overwhelming number were saying to go with hard anchors. Hard anchors are things like bone against bone or fingernails against teeth. These guys said that soft anchors like ears, lips, noses and the like, were soft and flexible. No way to be exact on something that moves.

I ended up with the knuckle on my index finger under my cheek bone and since I shoot with a release, a kisser button that I put on my eye tooth. The cheek bone controlled the vertical variable and the tooth got me to the correct draw length and controlled the horizontal variable. I then had to make sure my bow arm was extended the same and my head was always straight, to give me the consistancy I needed. I've shot for many years without a peep now, and I shoot as well as any of the peep-users in my local league.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put my release hand behind my ear and then the string just barely touches the end of my nose and one of the fletchings just barely touches my bottom lip. I also make sure when looking through my peep, at full draw, it lines up with the circle that my housing makes. Has worked very well for me and I am pretty consistent.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:56 PM

i also put my right index knuckle behing my earlobe, nose touching string, and i also use a kisser button (just started htis year) and it has become a great help..i recomend one for anyone who is having trouble with anchor points!
Old 09-12-2006, 01:26 PM

My face anchor is my index knuckle on a certain point on my jaw which is just below my ear lobe.

My front anchor is my sight pin. I establish the sight picture of the pin concentric to the peep.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

nuckle behind jaw kisser just touching the corner of my lip and then string to side of nose sight square and centered

Quick Reply: Anchor points (where is yours?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.