Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

sighting in youth bows

Old 09-08-2006, 07:36 PM

Default sighting in youth bows

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas to help sight in my sons new bow. He is still working on his form and am not sure he is being consistant enough to sight in correctly. or if he is aiming at the same spot everytime. Any help would be apreciated .
Old 09-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: sighting in youth bows

Just get him close to the target and work on form and release before you even think about sighting in the bow. Once he masters consecutive releases will you get a group idea on which direction to move the sights to zero him in.

In ZEN archery, archers learn to draw a bow for many years before they ever even get to shoot, learning technique. The next few years they get to shoot arrows in the dark at a large wall with no spots so they don't even get to aim leaning release, then once mastered they get to actually aim the bow. It's a great way to learn, unpractical but you can do the same thing in shorter intervals.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:47 PM

Thanks Rob,

Thats what I started doing tonight. I got him up close...10 yards. He worked on form and release tonight until his arrows were grouping well. If I saw bad form somewhere I had him let down and start over. He is starting to think and take his time now instead of just flinging arrows. I have noticed him fix things on his own when he takes his time wether it be his hips or the grip on the bow. I can see that is the biggest problem for him to overcome. He wants to grip the bow most of the time. He is afraid of dropping it or it moving too much in his hand. I brought the wrist sling in a little but not too much and he feels more comfortable now.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like your on the right track and having a great father son moment. Growing up with only a single mother, he'll appreciate that. Keep up the great work.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

how old is he?
Old 09-09-2006, 08:23 PM

11, and 71 pounds.
just bought him the Micro Midas 3. 18" to 28" draw set at 22". 20 - 29# set at 25#. I had them install string leaches, Wisker B, D loop, peep, kisser button, limbSavers, LimbSaver stabilizer, Vortex sight and 6 ICS hunter junior arrows. I was wondering if any of you had bought one of these for your son or daughter. And what your thoughts are on this bow.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:33 PM

Do some paper work with him. Ask him what he thinks is the correct sight picture, and have him draw one out on paper. Havehim draw what he thinks is correct in his mind and have him put it on paper, then work with him and the bow up close on a large target. Explain distance to him and how that will effect the sight picture. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:36 PM

Will do....Thanks for the idea.