Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

drawlength and dress size

Old 09-08-2006, 05:46 AM

Default drawlength and dress size

does anyone else think drawlength is going the way of the dress size. used to be a big girl wore a size 12-14 dress. now those same sizes are called a size 8. this is soley done to make ladies feel better when buying clothes.

i used to shoot a 29" from bowtech. now i have to shoot my bowtechs at 29.5", and on the trykon xl i just bought off tom, its got 30.5" cams on it - and is just a tad long for me, i mean a tad. tom is a 30" draw and its too short for him still. bought the 29" switchback and had to change the cam to a 29.5 and its still a hair short.

i've talked to quite a few long time shooters about this, and so far we're all noticing that the new bows from the big 3 are all coming in short.

have you fellows and ladies been noticing this trend also? is drawlength going the way of the dress size?
Old 09-08-2006, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: drawlength and dress size

I have seen that most manufacturers measure dl in different ways it seems. My correct draw length is always exactly 29" true draw (throat of grip to string). My XT now has a 29.5" draw (it's 1/4" shorter than my target bows) and my Apex 7's have 30R cams. Technically speaking AMO draw length is supposed to be throat of grip to string + 1.75" which should make my draw length 30.75" AMO draw length. AMO is what manufacturers used to be basing their numbers on..........it would be nice to see them all base them on the same numbers.

Is your rear elbow above, or in line with your arrow John? Is it outside or inline for side to side positioning...........I am curious how you are setup.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:19 AM

with my 29.5" consti i'm perfect side to side. elbow is up to me. i watched your video, and i don't rotate my release hand against my face as much as you, and that, i think, gives me more release elbow freedom of height.

haven't had pics taken w/ the trykon xl yet, but it 'feels' a little long. feels like my release elbow has lost a little freedom of height, like its down a bit. i tried to look at it myself for side to side, but how accurate is that? tom looked at me shoot when he brought it, and said we were close. the front of the bow feels a hair long, but not what you'd imagine a 30.5" bow to feel like compared to a 29.5". i've got the 30" cams here also for it, and i may change them out. tom is real picky on me getting the front of the bow right first, and not worrying about the back of the bow yet. he wants me in proper posture and the string landing on my nose - and then we'll adjust the back w/ loop length to get my release arm in line, w/ my elbow at a good natural height.

anyway, with a carter 2 special, which i'll be hunting with, i'm sticking em w/ no problem. i'm supposed to be leaving today on a hunting trip, but my buddie's new baby is having seizures, and our trip may be off depending. he's ill too, something w/ his brain they can't fix, and this very well may be his last hunt ever, so when he and his wife make a decision, i'll know if i'm gone or not - when i get back - if we leave, i'll get more specific w/ fitting the bow.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Gibby, I have only shot an XT and regular Switchback. Both were 29" draws supposedly and they fit me perfectly for my true 29.5" draw. My Patriot is 29.5", right on the mark. Maybe its the latest models just manufactured in the last few months?
Old 09-08-2006, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only bow Ive recieved at the spec I ordered was a merlin , My 02 bowtec BKpro was 3/4 inch long , and last years allegience was 1/2 too long
Old 09-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

gibblet...I can't speak for the other bows, but on the Hoyt's if you remove the ProFit grip and shoot with sideplates or directly off the riser, you are adding like 1/4" to your drawlength.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:31 AM

Never go by what the cam or module says. Your true AMO draw length and what the bow says are often two different things. Many bows are actually longer than what they state, mathews used to be very bad about this. It helps them fudge the IBO numbers. IBO is not really a standard, it is just a 30 inch (rated) bow at 70 lbs shooting a 350 grn arrow. So they can use a bow with 70 lbs limbs on it and a 30 inch cam or modules. They don't actually measure it. It might be drawing 72 pounds and up to 31 inches when they test it.

AMO is a standard and everything must be measured and verified. It is a much more accurate way to rate bows. However the numbers are not very impressive so companies quit using it.

Also keep in mind your draw length can change depending on your set up, form and the design of the bow. I have three different bows and they all have a different draw length depending on how they are set up and the release I decide use. My draw length is normally between 25 and 26 though. My darton at 26 inches was a bit long. On my mighty might I am a hair over 26 inches.

You really need to fit the bow to you, then measure the draw length for future referance. This is also why you can't buy a bow without shooting it. It is very important that a bow be set up to fit YOU. You can't just order a bow off the net or buy one off the rack because it says it's 28 inches and you shoot 28 inches. Things are not always what the apear to be. Especially with the newer solid wall cams. Used to be with round wheels and eccentrics with a large valley it wasn't that important since your form and anchor points determined your final draw. Now it has to do with the stops on the cam/s and they need to be set up fairly accurately. The more our technology increases the more important the set up becomes.

Paul