Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fletching vanes

Old 11-09-2002, 05:56 AM
geo
Spike

Default fletching vanes

I bought an arizona eazyfletch pro jig this year to try my hand at refletching my aluminum arrow shafts. I strip the old vanes off and use fine steel wool to remove any residue. Then I wipe the shafts down with rubbing alcohol and refletch with fletchtite glue. while the glue is still tacky I have been trimming the excess off with a sharp razorblade. My flethes look good but I tested a few for strength and most of the time I can pull the flething right off with little effort. It seems the fletchtite is not bonding good to my arrow shaft. I then tried bondini super glue gel and that stuff works really well but where I wipe the excess off I get a nasty white film along the fletch. Any of you guys have any tips or better products I could try to solve my problem? Thanks in advance....geo
Old 11-09-2002, 09:45 AM

Default RE: fletching vanes

Take a cloth and soak it with your rubbing alcohol and rub the contact edge of your vanes until the shiny coating on them comes off. This will also soften the contact face of the vane. I bet they'll stay on a lot better. Also, don't worry with cutting the excess glue off, it's not hurting anything as it shouldn't be contacting anything anyway.

>>>------------>
Pinmaster - At Home In The 11 Ring!
>>>------------>
Old 11-14-2002, 09:15 AM

As with any solvent based glue such as fletchtite you must prep the vanes by wiping them with acetone.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-17-2002, 02:19 AM

I don't know what Easton uses for glue or what type of vanes they use but my Gamegetter II Vanes never come off. And whatever type of vanes they use are very durable and tough.

In comparison I sometimes buy a few arrows from the hunting shop here and their vanes also fall off with little effort. Once they get started, they peel right off. And whatever plastic vanes they use sometimes break near the base when they get wet.

Nic
Old 11-17-2002, 06:55 AM
geo
Spike

Thanks for all the replies I have recieved. I think Im going to try some goat tuff and I may buy a better fletching jig. Im also going to stop using rubbing alcohol and get some acetone or something similiar. Been bowhunting for about 6 years and Im still learning something new every year. geo