Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

has anyone tried this new magnetic arrow rest?

Old 09-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default has anyone tried this new magnetic arrow rest?

I've read about this rest somewhere online (the website escapes me) and I just saw it advertised in the Cabelas archery catalog (I think its called the air rest). Anyway the idea is that there are three strong magnets located in the rest and a magnet of the opposite polarity is located in the arrow insert. The idea seems sound and the engineer in me is intreged in trying it out but I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried it out? I can think of a thousand ways whoever makes the thing can screw it up
Old 09-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: has anyone tried this new magnetic arrow rest?

Type in "air rest" or "magnet" into the search engine; it's been a while, but it was discussed pretty thoroughly.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:23 PM

i read that the overall functionality of the rest was pretty good,but the only draw back to the rest was that the inserts you have to use are around 50 grains,being that standard carbon inserts are weighing in at about 15 grains
Old 09-05-2006, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

I was able to look at one up close when I was at Cabelas about 2 weeks ago.

The concept looks pretty cool, however I don't like the fact that the inserts weigh so much. I already have to shoot a .340 spine arrow to get it to spine right for my bow. If I added 35gr to the tip of my arrow, I would need something like a .300 spined arrow which in addition to the extra 35gr from the insert, the arrow would be mucho heavy and slow.

I think you would be better served with a Whisker Biscuit and save like $100 to boot.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

If your arrows are cut to the perfect length, if you don't creep when youhave a steep anglefrom a tree stand, if you don't pull hard into the back wall, if you have time to wait for the arrow to stop moving around and settle in the middle of the magnets, ........... In other words if everything is perfect it will work well.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:14 PM

bigbulls has it right.

A shop owner brought one to test at our club last year and it looked like it would be a good target rest if they worked out a few bugs.

The weight and lack of adjustability seem to be the major concerns of most. You have to have your arrow length exactly right for your draw length. If you creep or pull into the stopseven a little bit the arrow falls down.

If you decide to changethe draw length on your bow, you have to make up new arrows.

It could be a good rest, but it needs a lot more work.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

If your arrows are cut to the perfect length, if you don't creep when youhave a steep anglefrom a tree stand, if you don't pull hard into the back wall, if you have time to wait for the arrow to stop moving around and settle in the middle of the magnets, ........... In other words if everything is perfect it will work well.
From everything that I have read about it...bigbulls has hit it on the mark! Neat idea...just too many little things could happen...
Old 09-05-2006, 03:30 PM

Somebody on here has one and seems to be very happy with it. I would never use one. I just don't like the design. I looked at one as well. Another draw back is the rest itself is actually fairly heavy.

Paul
Old 09-06-2006, 10:34 AM

I know that they stick together when they are on the rack at Cabelas