Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

razorcaps or buckblaster?

Old 09-03-2006, 02:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default razorcaps or buckblaster?

I was looking into getting new broadheads. I have always used wasps hammers from my local bow shop but they went out of business so i had to look in cabelas for them, and I noticed the razorcaps which look really good to me. I love a cut on contact broadhead, and also that rocket aeorhead buckblaster looked devastating! I thought it was neat because if the expandables do not open you still have the fixed blade, but if the expandable does open you have a 2 3/4 inch blood hole. I was just wondering your opinions on these 2 heads? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-03-2006, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: razorcaps or buckblaster?

I have yet to actually know someone who has used a buckblaster.
IFsomeone had enough energy to use one I bet it would tear one heck of a hole.
razor caps look real good, the only negative I've read (from one guy) is that they were butterknife sharp from the factory.

You might consider some milder looking Stinger 4 blades, muzziesor slick tricks.

The Stingers have what it takes and shootveryaccurate out of my rig.

Old 09-03-2006, 04:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

i had a post about the buckblasters on here a while ago. run a search here and on the bowhunting forum and see if you can find it. type in buckblaster or something. if i wasnt leaving for work id do it right now...but a few guys here actually used it or knew people that have. its a great idea, but im skeptical at best. IF the blades open i doubt youd have too many...if anny even stay in place. just seem like they would be MORE prone to breaking. i think if anything that may be a good head to anchor a turkey....but try to find my post a few guys knew about it.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

My uncle shot hem for ten years, and they do some damage. He had trouble a few times with losing the mechanical blades, but the fixed head is already in place. I'l see if I can did up some pics of deer he shot...looked like a cannon ball went through em. Huge hole.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

razorcaps for sure. shot 6 hogs with them out of compound and recurve and they shoot great, leave excellent blood trails, and are fairly easy to sharpen. they come razor sharp from the factory. they fly just like my field points and have for all my buddies that I got shooting them too. razor caps was just taken over production by NAP. I think you will see a lot more of these shot in the future IMO. sharpen them with a 12 inch mill file and a steel rod. My second choice would be the G5's.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:45 PM

I've killed several whitetail and big hogs with the Razorcaps the past 3 years. They fly like darts, easy to sharpen, and have an interchangable ferruel system that allows you to change mass weight of the broadhead with ease. This allows you to shoot the exact same bh without having to buy the complete broadhead such as the Thunderhead/muzzy etc. to change mass weight. No other bh company offers as many weight varitations as Razorcaps.

I hunt big hogs with the 200 gr. Razorcap and whitetail with the 100 gr. set up.

Without a doubt this bh is the most versitile bh on the market. Penetration is outstanding and the edge is easy to maintain.

If you're looking for a 3 blade cut on contact bh that has superior flight, penetration and retention of sharpness, Razorcaps may be worth taking a serious look at.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

i am using montecs this year they look great but the crimson talon intrigues me and i will probably get them next year
Old 09-04-2006, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

hey roger, I use a 12 inch mill file to sharpen mine, then put them on leather. do you sharpen yours any different? I tried the montec stone but the razorcaps are a harder steel and using the diamond stone won't sharpen them quickly. just curious as to how you sharpen them. I place my file on the counter top and drag the bh towards me. I press down hard with the first complete revolution of the bh, then each successive revolution is done with less pressure than the one before. my final razor edge can be done by putting the bh on an arrow and running a steel rod across the blades at a 45 degree angle away from me or by placing the bh on a leather strop and dragging it towards me as not to cut the leather.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:08 PM

John - yup, 12" mill file. Lay it on the table on top of a tanned piece of deer hide so it doesn't move. I do sharpen mine a bit different than you however. I push the bh with the tip forward away from me. The same routine as you rotating with lighter pressure each rotation. I'll only rotate it 3 times. I don't want to remove any more material than I have to. Then I follow up with an old steel I used to use when I cut meat. I'll stroke the bh with the steel from the back of the blades to the tip for minimally 30 or so rotations. They're so danged sharp they'll bite ya'! Several times during the season, I'll put the steel to the bh's that are in my quiver as they're removed and replaced very often.

I absolutely love the Razorcaps. I was working my booth at the AMO show several years ago and met Phil Muller. That was a about two before distribution of the Razorcaps. He gave me several samples to use. They certainly did turn a few heads in hunting camp. Of course the game in the back of my truck was proof in the puddin'!

Great broadhead!
Old 09-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

sounds good to me. thanks for your input. after reading your post we sharpen exactly alike. I think I just mistated my way to you.