Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Trykon broadhead issues

Old 08-30-2006, 08:34 AM

Default Trykon broadhead issues

I have run into a small issue with my Trykon that I could use some help with. No doubt about it, the bow is quiet, accurate and has no hand shock, almost shoots itself. The issue is with Broadheads, thay come in 2-3 inches low no matter what I do. I have:

adjusted the cables, changed spine, changed draw weight, changed heads, changed the rest to three diffrent rests with no change regardless of adjustment. It shoots field points to the point of wrecking arrows but I can't get the bheads closer than 2-3 inches low, center shot is fine.

Draw weight 56# Draw length 26" Rest is a an NAP 360, arrows Beman ICS 500 camo hunters, heads are slick tricks. Winners Choice string and cables, loop and hunt and shoot a back tension release. Cams appear in the right place and within the marks. It had been 4-5 inches low before cable adjustment. Since that adjustment nothing seems to get me where I want to be, +/- an inch or better.

Any suggestions would be greatly apprciated!

Pat
Old 08-30-2006, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trykon broadhead issues

You give pretty decent specifics and I don't see any reason this should not work, BUT maybe the bow just doesn't like those 500's. If you have any give a 400 spine a try or take a turn off the limbs to see what happens.

I shoot 500's at the same weight (roughly) and 27" with great success so can't give a definitive answer. Of course the bow shoots a 300 spine almost identically.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

VA deer hunter , have you tryed tiller tuneing ? that "might" be a sulution for you .
Try taking a 1/4 turn out of your top limb , and putting a 1/4 turn in your bottom , as a start , I see you are inbetween pounds , it is very possible your limbs are not out the same , and even if they are , sometimes this works .
Old 08-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

You might also try a different rest.

My Trykon XL would not shoot worth a darn with the NAP 360 rest. I could never get decent arrow flight. I switched to a blade rest just for a test, and almost magically my problems disappeared.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:33 PM

Thanks folks, Yes I have tried 400's no difference also two two other rests a QT 4000 and a Whisker Biscuit. I am very interested in the tiller tune idea. Going to try that next.

Pat
Old 08-31-2006, 12:33 PM

I guess I'll state the obvious,but did you try lowering the nock point a tad?

CB
Old 08-31-2006, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

Have you taken a look at the top cam for any evidence of cam lean?

If your string does not come absoloutely straight off of the cam track the bow will be nearly impossible to tune......expecially with broadheads.

You may have already done this, but put the bow on a draw board, or a hook in the ceiling. Bring the bow to full draw and ensure that both cams reach the draw stops at exactaly the same time (possibly have the top cam every so slightly ahead)

Set your arrow rest so the bottom of the arrow is even with the center of the berger button hole (even with the berger button always ends up too low for proper adjustment)
I would also verify that your nock point is about 1/8" above level.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:59 PM

Thanks for all the input so far. Yes I have checked for cam lean and the bushings etc are good to go and I doublechecked it at full draw and in the press. As you know some of the early Trkons slipped out of the factory missing a spacer up top.

Yes I have changed the noc point at the string and tried adjusting the rest. The weird part is it really never improves the group just makes it worse.

I have gotten the vertical differentional down to less than three inches by dropping the poundage a full turn. It also now shoots 2114 allumimuns better than the 500 or 400 carbons. Go figure.

The strange part of this whole mess is I have a Havotec that shoots 500's with the same broadhead and draw weight that slices nocs. I bought the Trykon because of its suberb accuracy but this broadhead thing is just stumpping me.

Pat
Old 09-01-2006, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

Not for nothing, but having your broadheads and fieldpoints hit the same point of impact is not necessarily the optimum tune for either setup.

Out of a bow tuned optimally for FP flight, your BHs will impact somewhere other than the POI for the FPs
The same holds true for a bow tuned for BH flight.

Try this little exercise.

Put down the FPs alltogether.

Paper tune your bow with BHs at about 5 yards. Get a pretty good tear, does not have to be perfect.

Now perform walkback tuning with the BH tipped arrows
In case you are not farmiliar with walkback tuning, you draw a line on your target that is vertical (use a plumb line or a level to ensure it is perfectly vertical)
1) Put a mark near the top of your target and use it for an aiming point
2) Shoot 3 "good" arrows at 20 yards with your 20 yard pin
3) Shoot 3 "good" arrows at 30 yards with your 20 yardpin. Aim at the same spot as you did at 20 yards
4) Repeat at 40 and as far out as your skill or height of the target will let you without drilling an arrow into the ground

If your arrow groups scribe a line that is not vertical, you need to move the windage on your rest

If the line looks like this \ : Move your rest to the Left 1/16" or less
If the line looks like this / : Move your rest to the Right 1/16" or less

Repeat the above procedure until your groups are vertical with respect to your plumb line.

If you look at Eastons Tuning Guide (http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloa...ning_guide.zip)
They give you specific instructions for adjusting your nock point with respect to the impact of FPs and BHs

From what I have read and my personal experiences, you may have to move your nock point down a bit, or move your rest up.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:11 AM

Actually along the horizontal the error is near zero. So left to right and vice versa its good. Center shot is fine. On the vertical is where it is not responding. Regardless of rest or noc adjustment it only get s worse and moves both the FP and BH in the same direct with no closure.

I will try and find time to try your method this weekend.

Thanka,

Pat

Quick Reply: Trykon broadhead issues

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.