Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Newberry opinions?

Old 08-28-2006, 07:08 PM

Default Newberry opinions?

I am interested in a Newberry Sabre (single cam-80% letoff). Need imput.
Thanks.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Newberry opinions?

Mocha, not familiar with that model, but I happened to win a Newberry B-1 in a giveaway last summer, so I got to look it over very carefully... For sure, the quality of fit and finish plainly isn't up to par with some of what's considered to be the "top" bows out there...

Since I won it, I have no idea how it stacks up price-wise... I sold the B-1 almost immediately for a couple hundred bucks.

That may not help you a bit... That's the only experience I have with one.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

A friend of mine bought a Newberry Iron Mace awhile back and it had a poor finish similar to Greg's experience.
It even had small chunks of riser material missingbut had been finished as is.
Myfriend was very disappointed andsold his at a loss.
To be fair, I heard the quality control is better, lately, and they have went with Barnsdale laminated limbs which is a plus.

Sag.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

A nearby Archery Proshop was going to give them a try.......They kept sending them back for the same reasons ...fit/finish/and inconsistent quality.....they decided not to carry the line.

Good Luck!
Old 08-30-2006, 12:19 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Newberry Katana, fit and finish is good. Quiet and not much vibration. Original string was sh--. They said it was stretched causing the cam to under rotate.See my other post. Installed a new H&M string and harness with the same results, Newberry says it has a stretched harness also? Seems strange the new and old string would stretch that soon. The new one had been on the bow less than two hours when I sent them a pic of the cam This bow is very fast and a real nock buster can only imagine how well it will shoot if in tune.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Newberry B1 that I bought when the owner was selling some bows on Ebay. There were some things about the bow that were pretty impressive. It had a very solid riser, thicker than most you will run across. It tuned pretty easily, and seemed to have a very torque free overall shooting/tuning experience. I don't think the finish is quite up to the standards of Mathews, Hoyt, Bear/Jennings, Bowtech, etc., but I can't say it was bad. I did have a few dings in my cam that were finished over, but the factory replaced the cam, and dealt with a few problems. In the 2 months I had the bow, it was sent back twice for 3 problems. The current owner of the bow is very happy with it though. The only other problem of note was that, with the SAT Hybrid cams, the power cable serving was getting eaten up pretty bad, worse than most solo cams I've owned. The Newberrys (so far) do not have any stabilizer bushings, the holes are tapped and threaded directly into the riser aluminum. The bow I had was fast, shooting 313 with a 30" draw at 64" and a 320 gr. arrow. It was reasonably quiet, but nowhere near as quiet as most Newberry fans describe their bows on internet forums. Last thing that I did not like was the draw. It had a distinct "hump" right before letoff, and had a tight "no valley" feel at full draw. Some shooters actually prefer that type of draw, but I don't care for it, or shoot my best with it. I guess they are pretty good bows considering the price, and I hear the Saber is more shock free than the B series. They are very solid bows though, and should give few problems in actual durability, just some nagging little issues perhaps. I don't think they ever had a limb failure before going to the Barnsdales, so I wouldn't worry about any Newberry limbs. Hope this helps, I tried to be as objective as possible.