Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Got a question from newby

Old 08-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Spike

Default Got a question from newby

Hi, I am just getting back into bow hunting after 12 years and I am still pretty green when it comes to setting it up.Last time I hunted was when I was 13. I bought a used Martin Sabre the other day at an archery shop.
I decided to buy it there rather than a chain store only because I thought they would set it all up for me. It was a bare bow so I had to buy the quiver, rest, sights and release. When I got home I noticed that the arrow rest had the arrow pointing so far up that it was rubbing on the bottom of my sights and I seen the adjustment screws for the rest were stripped out so I couldn't adjust it even if I knew how. So my question is, is it proper procedure for them to set that type of stuff up for me or do I have to figure it out for myself? I don't want to go in there and tell them they didn't do there job if that isn't what normally happens. Thanks in advance for all replys. I am getting antsy to get out and practice!!
Old 08-27-2006, 07:29 PM

Default RE: Got a question from newby

Yea, any good shop wouldn't have let you left with those kinds of problems. I would go back and let them fix it and help you get your bow tuned and shooting good.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:40 PM

What kind of archery shop would let you leave with a bow set up that way? they definitely should set it up crrectly, and if you bought the stripped out rest from them, they should replace or fix it as well. You definitly wouldnt be wrong by asking for them to fix it.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:16 AM

I wouldn't trust anyone who would let you leave with a bow like that. Spend a little extra and go to another shop and have them help you tune it. I have to wonder if this place has the knowledge to do it correctly. Talk to other archers and ask who is the best at tuning and who has the most experience - then go there.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:51 PM

That sux. Take your bow back and ask them to fix what they wronged in the first place. If that is true that they sold it to you like that, go someplace else there after. God only knows what else they will do to you.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:01 AM

If they will let refund your money, do that and go to a different shop. If you like the release, keepit. Other than that, I would get my money back.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now something like this really doesn't help beginners to start on the right foot.
I am peeved to say the least!!!
An archery shop that cares for the customer and looks towards the future, would have spent some time with you and your bow.
This not only makes the customer comfortable--but it also helps to alleviate a situation whereby the customer can get hurt by a bow that isincorrectly configured.
When buying a product--unless it is marked "AS IS"--then by all means the thing must be in good working condition. And NO Pro Shop for that matter, should be selling 'weapons' on an 'as is' case.
Bows, like the one you have mentioned can break the spirit of a beginner and the archery fraternity would have lost an opportunity to grow its members.
Not good at all--take your bow back--ASAP, mention your concerns to the owner of the Pro Shop--if he mentions additional charges, just ask for a refund and go elsewhere immediately.
I am unsure ifby accident,the arrow touching the bottom of your sight was overlooked--but bows should not leave a Pro Shop without being throughly inspected and deemed in good working order.
The shop owes this to his customers--if they want to stay in business.
Other than this--you're dealing with the WRONG PEOPLE!!!