Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

rest clearance

Old 09-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: rest clearance

Right there with you BG. He should learn to do it himself. Ive learn pretty much the same way, the hard way.

What 4" vane is it that ways 6.5? You were right about the duravane. I thought they were the lightest 4". The guy I talked about tried weighing the vane with a balance used in the gun section of the store.

Don't know if you've noticed it, but when youhit fast reply it say's you are responding to X post. It's always the last person who responded.I didn't mean for my comments to be directed at you, just putting in my 2 cents is all. This should say I'm responding to wicchunter. You can tell I'm not.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

nodog,

The lightest 4" I've checked is the Duravane Low Profile at 6.5 grains. Thought I told you that. That's one of the reasons I went back to vanes for mu hunting arrows. Being a speed freak all these years and shooting feathers I just couldn't go back to vanes till I tried these. I know the latest rage these days are the Blazers, but I shoot a Martin with the X system and need to stay narrow for cable clearance. I could put the longer axles in but there really is no need at this point. I'm not going to quibble about the 5 grain difference between 3 Blazers and 3 Duravanes.

I know it may sound arrogant, but I am my own handyman. With few exceptions I'm the only one who works on my stuff (anything). On bows I do 100%. I like to get a new one and set it up rough to chrono it for curiosity. Then I tear the whole thing down and throw it on a pile in the floor. After I micrometer every little thing I put it back together and "go to work" on it. That's how I've learned what I have after shooting these stupid wheel bows for almost 33 years. And I made my share of mistakes during that time. And with technology the learning is never done.

The one thing that has helped, which yougsters should learn, is to take digital pics of the bow before any disassembly. Especially the cabling. I had a hard time with this on some single cam bows till I learned to draw pictures. Hey, live and learn.

I like an old adage. "The person who never made a mistake just never tried anything".
Old 09-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll have to check those low profile ones out. Wanted something a little tougher for this year. The duravane I used last year got shredded going through some thick briar's. Will be going through the same this year but shouldn't get as caught up as last year. It was our first year of a planed 4 year hunt on some public ground. We are more familiar with the place now. I'm trying the savage vane out now andI like it. They are around 9 whichI was surprised at. I don't care for the higher profiles either for the same reasons.

I know you've been around archery for some time and have experimented with quit a bit of it. One of the ways I've learned is from reading your posts. The restI use was based on your recommendations.

Good advise about taking pics. I've used a video camera as well.