Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Martin Tracer & Drop away rest question

Old 08-25-2006, 07:45 AM
Spike

Default Martin Tracer & Drop away rest question

Does anyone have any suggestions for my drop away rest. I am not getting clearance of my fletchings. I took it back to the Archery shop and he stated it was my fault because to bow is to short for me(after he sold me the rest). I am 6'3", I feel that he is just trying to get me to purchese a new bow from him. Is a short bow too short for someone my size? and does a Tracer accept a drop away rest well? Has anyone else had any problems with the drop away rest?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Martin Tracer & Drop away rest question

A longer bow would certainly be a better match for your body size, but shouldn't be an issue with the rest problem. My guess is that the rest is being raised too early in the draw cycle so doesn't have enough time to drop away. It should raise to it's maximum height in about the last 1 1/2" to 2" of the draw cycle. If it's coming up too early you can possibly slide the cord attached to your cable up the cable a bit at a time till you get the desired results.

Another thing. If you're shooting cock-vane down try shooting cock-vane up.

It would be better if you post what your setup is; details. Then a more informed "guess" can be made.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

If he sold you the rest it should work , if he knew what bow you own , then he should have set you up with a rest that worked with your bow , If he did not know what you were shooting its another story . I have not heard of a fallaway rest that had "draw length restrictions" . The only mismatch I know of is certan hoyt bows , and muzzy rests with very paralel limb bows , but they came out with a model for that aplication and thats what should have been given to you if thats your case .
Old 08-31-2006, 12:45 PM
mrr

I am 6'4" and have the martin tracer at 30.5" DL with a shakey hunter drop away. It has been a while ago since I set it up but, I think the problem was that it dropped away too fast and didn't stabilize the arrow. Any way I just installed a short stiff spring(from hardware store) in the drop away cord to hold rest up longer then just adjusted cord length until clearance was acheived.Hope it helps