Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string twist problem...

Old 08-24-2006, 07:41 PM

Default string twist problem...

Ok i need help, my string was just recently replaced because my previous one was nearly cut in half by only god knows what. Anyway, the new string has been twisting very bad. I pull back to full draw, and if the peep is in full view to begin with, the peep will then twist and block the view where the string is blocking the pins while at full draw. Other times it simply draws back strait to this point. Very frustrating to shoot with. Is there anything i can do to fix this, or did i just get what i payed for by not getting a name brand zebra or winners choice string? Also the peep i use is nott the kind with rubber tubing. help needed
Old 08-24-2006, 08:04 PM

Default RE: string twist problem...

First, while shooting a mathews, you should not need a rubber tube on your peep site.

Second, I shoot with Zebra strings and have that same problem. First draw, peep is ok. Second draw, peep is turned slightly. Third draw, peep is sideways. Fourth draw, peep is ok.

I am about as frustrated as I can get right now with my bow. I love Mathews, smooth as heck. But come on, I paid good coin for this bow. And, I only to have to drive 1.5 hours (one way)on the weekend to get it fixed.

Can you guess what I am doing this weekend? Can you say Lancaster Archery?
Old 08-24-2006, 08:10 PM

actually i shoot a browning....but same principle, my peep is very inconsistent as to where it lines up. Half the time, i can not see the pins do to the string being in the way. Wat is frustrating is that i had this string put on less than a week ago. any suggestions or am i just tsuck with it?
Old 08-24-2006, 08:13 PM

My string has less than 100 shots in it. If someone tells me that it has stretched out already, I am going to vommit.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:14 PM

lol i kno the feeling...mine probably has 50 to 60 shots on it. if it keeps it up, im gunna go insane.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

New strings will take a few shots to stabilize. Some may take 200 shots. Generic strings like you usually find at any shop, including Zebra strings, will creep forever. I don't think it can be narrowed down to the material they are made of, because many aftermarket string makers use the same stuff the factories do. It's just that they have superior procedures for prestretching and pretwisting and serving under pressure. MOST, but not all, factory strings and their generic replacements are put together quickly with basically one goal in mind---hold things together.

Now I'll ask how many twists are in the string you have. Good aftermarket strings such as Winner's Choice have about one complete twist for every 1 1/2" of length. A string that is twisted correctly will distribute the load over the strands more evenly and stabilize quicker. There is more to it, but suffice it to say that yes, you get what you pay for. With Zebra strings being the exception.

Here's a suggestion. PM Gibblet on this site and order a set from him. I'm using a set from him and find they compare very favorably with Prostrings and Winner's Choice that I have also used, except his prices are very reasonable.

After you get them and they are installed shoot about 50 shots through them and then install a peep sight. And one like the Fletcher Hunter Mag with 1/4" hole. Pretty much your peep rotation will go away altogether.

And besides, you can pick some pretty colors like pink and purple. LOL.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:43 PM

thnx for the help..ill be getting a new bow in a few months anyway...so i may hold off on the new strings until i get the bow...Thanks for warning me though, ill definitley use gibblets as replacements next time. I like the colors idea too, excet i may veer away from the pink/purple combo, although a good one. lol i think green and brown is more my style. Thanks again for that helpful info
Old 08-24-2006, 11:44 PM

Do you have a string loop? If you do, just turn it on the string until the peep is in the proper position. Then shoot your bow. You will need to do this a few times before it actually settles and stays put.

Thats what I had to do with the tru-peep I just installed.

I hear Gibblet does make some good strings.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:44 PM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

New strings will take a few shots to stabilize. Some may take 200 shots.
That is exactly what the staff at my archery shop said. We shall see in another week or so.

Thanks