Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead flight problems.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:49 PM

Default RE: Broadhead flight problems.

ORIGINAL: slee

Why not just buy some carbon arrows that are properly spined, anduse the 100gr BHs you have. Then, you'll have arrows when you buy your new setup in the winter. Your draw length isn't going to change, and you'll have the right arrows for this season.
I agree that you need new, stiffer spined arrows but they don't necessarily need to be carbon. Invest in them now and use them with your new set-up. With an arrow of the size you need I would suggest at least a 100 grain head and personally I'd go to a 125 to get the FOC up but that's JMHO. For your 2 prong rest I'd suggest going to a straight offset fletch to gain some broadhead stability over your current straight fletch but you won't be able to go to a full helical due to rest clearance issues , unless you go to feathers.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all of the responses, it's been a big help. I guess I'll just suck it up and get the arrows now. I'm very new to the technical aspects, I usually left it to our local pro shop (who incidentally set me up with the 2117's and 100gr BH's). I've heard lots of good things about ACCs kind of giving the best of both worlds, but I would like to shoot carbon on my next setup, so some recommendations for arrow and spine setups would be great.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:41 PM

Carbon Express 3D select 300's matched straightness & weight and they are tough arrows.

GGBH
Old 08-25-2006, 07:55 PM

Acc's are excellent arrows, just a bit pricy, but so will good carbons.

As far as spine goes you need something between a .350 and .330 spine.

Any beman or easton 340 series arrow

gold tip 75/95's

PSE 400's

Carbon Express 400's (I would use a 125 grn tip they come up a tadd stiff with a 100)

Or ACC 3-60's

This is with a 30 inch arrow.

If you had a specific brand or model in mind let me know and I will see what I can find on specs for it.

Paul
Old 08-25-2006, 08:39 PM

Paul is right about 400 CE instead of 300's my buddy shoots 300's out of 68lbs but they are only 27 in long---with 145 grn B/heads Thanks Paul

GGBH
Old 08-25-2006, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

This thread is great. Archers actually helping archers. A lot better than arguing over which bow is better.

One option I would like to add is the Carbon Express Terminator Select, which are a composite of carbon and fiberglass. They are somewhat heavier than all carbon arrows, are very tough, and seem to be very consistent arrows for the very reasonable price. You would want the 60/75 spine size. Oh yes, you definitely want some offset to the fletching.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Paul - Basically I'm looking for the most affordable solution at the time (I'm going back for my final year of college, so funds for extra things are at a minimum).

Thanks for all of the posts so far, you guys have been very helpful, it's great. Btw, is there anything (books, internet articles, etc), where I can read up on these finer points of archery (matching broadheads to arrows, to draw length, spine selection, etc?).
Old 08-26-2006, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JOE PA

This thread is great. Archers actually helping archers. A lot better than arguing over which bow is better.

One option I would like to add is the Carbon Express Terminator Select, which are a composite of carbon and fiberglass. They are somewhat heavier than all carbon arrows, are very tough, and seem to be very consistent arrows for the very reasonable price. You would want the 60/75 spine size. Oh yes, you definitely want some offset to the fletching.
Good point Joe although I do get a kick out of the wars sometimes.

One thing about off sets. Some times they won't work. Contacts the problem. Just like anything takes some experimenting to see what's best. Building your own arrows is the way to go.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:41 AM

Get game getters then. Fairly cheap with great tolerances. Also the larger diameter shaft will help with contact problems with your prong rest.

When comparing cheap carbons and cheap aluminums the aluminum arrow is almost always the better way to go as far as quality control and consistancy from arrow to arrow. There are some very nice carbons on the market, but they are not cheap by any means. The good thing is the arrow companies know this and they get better every year.

Paul
Old 08-26-2006, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I went ahead and ordered some 2413's with a straight offset fletch. I will probably still get some carbons when I get my new bow and try some blazers because I will be putting a new rest on, but for now these will do. Thanks again for all of the help, and I will keep you posted with the results.

Quick Reply: Broadhead flight problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.