Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

My sight is outta sight, and NOT in a good way!

Old 08-18-2006, 08:52 PM

Default My sight is outta sight, and NOT in a good way!

Ok, so I have paper tuned my bow and it is now shooting bullet holes at several distances and I can see it flying beautifully all the way to the target on a 30 yard shot. The problem is that I have to put my sight up so far that I'm losing the "window" as pictured below.

Thinking about how I might make adjustments to bring the sight back down, I lowered the nock about 3/4" and then brought the rest down (yes, I still have plenty of fletching clearance) as well and fine tuned it so I was again shooting bullet holes on paper and flying like darts at a distance.

Little did I know that my adjustments now make the arrows hit about a foot high at 20 yards so I'm going to have to move the sight up even further than pictured![:@]

So here's my question. Should I try moving the nock up from its original position or should I be taking a different approach all together?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:57 PM

Default RE: My sight is outta sight, and NOT in a good way!

Probably has to do with your form and how you anchor at full draw. Or your peep is not set right and is too high causing you to anchor low. Would have to see you shoot to know for sure.

My guess is you are anchoring too low and your peep is too high on the string.

Also when you set your rest up have it so the arrow is even with the mounting hole for your rest, then adjust your nock point. You can make small adjustments with your rest, but if you need it move it more than an 1/8 of an inch you should be changing your nocking point instead. And if you move your nock point it will require you to move your peep because you changed your anchor point in relationship to the peep alignment.

Looking thru your peep should be very natural. You should be able to come to full draw with your eyes closed, find your anchor points and open your eyes with the peep lined up perfectly. You shouldn't have to bend your head in, strain or hunt around to find it.

Paul
Old 08-19-2006, 05:37 AM

I have a buddy with the same problem, anchors low and has peep higher than usual. work on a different anchor that moves the nock closer to the corner of your mouth, then adjust peep to match, should cure the problem.
David/Mo
Old 08-19-2006, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

put a kisser button on, then youll know exactly where your anchor point should be, youll be more consistant that way, also chek out your peep site, check the servicings above and below the peep make sure they arent lose or damaged. I love using a kisser with a peep, im more consistant and didnt lose hardley any speed at all.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:46 AM

I'm going to dissagree with the kisser button thing. You don't need a kisser and a peep. They both do the same thing and a peep is actually more accurate. And besides you could put the kisser button in the wrong place just like your peep probably is and still have the same problem. Or worse yet have the peep and the kisser in the wrong places and be fighting them all the time. I have seen it happen. The peep was too high the kisser too low, what a mess.

If you can post a pic of you at full draw, it's almost impossible to know what is going on otherwise. And it will still be difficult without actually seeing the bow and you shoot it. Do you have a pro shop near by that can check it out? That would be my best advice.

If it were me I would take everything off your bow and start from scratch. I would re-install the rest in the proper position then work on your form and anchor points with no peep or sights on the bow. Then when you have that set install the peep at the correct height and then the sights. And tune from there.

Paul
Old 08-19-2006, 03:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr
If you can post a pic of you at full draw, it's almost impossible to know what is going on otherwise.
Good idea. I'd like to get my form correct before I make any more adjustments to my bow. I have no idea what may be wrong with my stance, except I'm guessing that back elbow is way too high. The guy at the shop said my form looks great, but his concentration was on selling a bow, not providing instruction so please provide your input.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

I had the same problem with a different sight and found out that I put the mount on upside down (there is a difference for left and right handed shooters) Once I turned the mount over everything lined up fine.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:00 PM

Analyzing form is not my forte, so don't take this as gospel. But it looks to me like your DL may be about 1/2" too short, causing you to anchor quite low.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Analyzing form is not my forte, so don't take this as gospel. But it looks to me like your DL may be about 1/2" too short, causing you to anchor quite low.
Hmmm. My draw length is set at 29" due to the fact that 2 different archery shops guys simply looked at me and declared 29" to be the correct number, and a third measured me at 29". Also, I measured my armspan and divided by 2.5 and got 29.2". The DL on my bow is adjustable in 1" increments only so to lengthen it, I'd have to go to 30".

If my anchor is too low, I guess that probably means that my peep sight is too high as was suggested, so maybe I should consider lowering it. About how much higher would you say my anchor should go?
Old 08-21-2006, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dip,

I wouldn't get real concerned about the high elbow for now.That can be straightened out by using s loop or a slightly longer one.Frankly I think the draw length of the bow looks pretty close in the picture.

Without getting into drastic changes I'd be inclined to move the peep down on the string about 1/4" (maybe a little more with experimentation), which will raise your anchor some. This may also change how the string touches your nose, in which case you may actually have to shorten the bow just a tad by twisting the string. It will depend on how it feels to you.

But frankly, I'd do as Paul suggests and strip it down and stsrt all over again. Line things up well from the git-go. But then I don't mind stripping things down and playing. I find that more fun than just shooting all the time.

Quick Reply: My sight is outta sight, and NOT in a good way!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.