Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

My sight is outta sight, and NOT in a good way!

Old 08-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My sight is outta sight, and NOT in a good way!

IMO your form looks fine and your anchor doesn't look anywhere close to being too low.

The problem is that the bow you are shooting has a very compact riser and a very small sight window. A problem with trying to get a short ATA bow with a conventional limb angle and limb lengths. It just doesn't work very well for taller folks. With a 29" draw I figure you are very close to 6 foot tall?

Basically the bow does not fit you. If you were about 5'6" tall and a 26" or 27" draw length you would be better off with the excursion. IMO you should have purchased the timberwolf or highlander in the Reflex line.

To get this bow to work you are going to have to adjust your anchor point up along the side of your face. Which will probably hurt accuracy, unless you switch to a hand held release which will move your anchor point up naturally.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure if i'm seeing this correctly but, it looks like your arrow is sitting about 1/4" higher than your arrow rest mounting holes?
Old 08-21-2006, 02:12 PM

ORIGINAL: jsasker

I'm not sure if i'm seeing this correctly but, it looks like your arrow is sitting about 1/4" higher than your arrow rest mounting holes?
Actually, it was about 1" higher than the mounting holes in that picture. It's back down near the mounting holes now though due to some advice I got in the topic I posted ("critique my form") in the bowhunting forum. But the limited sight window view is a problem no matter where the rest is positioned.

I hope you're not right about that bow being too small for me, BigBulls, but now I'm a little concerned. And yes, I am 6' 1".
Old 08-21-2006, 03:14 PM

Lower your peep some and move your anchor up a little bit. I can't tell you how much, but I would go with what BG said. It will feel a bit weird at first, but form changes always do. You will get used to it soon enough though.

This should lower your front sights when you sight it back in.

I think, it's been a long day, I may not be thinking straight yet.

I think your form looks fine and you do anchor a tad bit low. Nothing wrong with it if you can get it to work, but from the looks of it you can't.

Paul
Old 08-21-2006, 03:45 PM

I'm probably not thinking right either, Paul,but I am indeed going to try loweringmy peep and raising my anchor after I get thenock and restback where they should be and getpaper tuned again. Hey, I gotta do something! [&:]
Old 08-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Move your anchor point to just below your lip...thats a real easy spot to anchor in. You'll have to move your peep down...how much...well exactly enough so you see it through perfectly when in your NEW anchor point. Next get your rest back to its normal position(height)...it ( the arrow)should be going through center to the berger hole. Double check your noc set to make sure you're Square.(1/8 to 1/4 high). Moving your peep down will dramatically move you sight postion. Last make sure you retune and are shooting bullet holes thru the paper.

Have a great season!
Old 08-22-2006, 11:46 AM

Success at last! Thanks for your help everyone. The root causeproblem did indeed turn out to be the peep sight being too high. After it wasmentioned, I noticed that I was straining my headup and forward to see through the peep. I put everything back in position and adjusted my peep downward, and I now have a good sight picture and a tuned bow!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good deal!
Old 08-22-2006, 03:59 PM

Man, love to hear a success story. Glad it worked out for you.

Paul