Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

broadhead not hitting consistently

Old 08-17-2006, 02:05 PM

Default broadhead not hitting consistently

I have a new switchback xt. I am shooting 70# 29" goldtips with 100gr and the WB. I have always used the muzzy 3 blate broadhead. I had lots of trouble tuning my bow to what I thought was correct. I bare shaft tuned it, I paper tuned it, I adjusted the idler wheel, I followed everyone's recommendations. I ended up with the arrow about 1/8 inch amiming outward from centershot. This shot bullets in paper. It looked like a dart in flight and I can hit an orange every time up to 50 yards. I pullled out the broadheads last night and they are bad shooting. I haven't had a problem in the past with them. My group went from 1 1/2 inches at 30 yards to nearly 12 inches. I have numbered the arrows and I am eliminating the really bad ones. The arrows cover the entire 12 inch circle. Each arrow is consistent, but no two are alike. Where should I begin???????????? The arrows range in age from 200-500 shots each. Some may be more.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: broadhead not hitting consistently

Are they off in all directions or when there off, is it in a specific direction?
Old 08-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

What spine shaft are you shooting?
What fletch are you shooting?

If you are shooting a weak shaft with small fletch
then those results dont suprise me .
If you are shootin 5" feathers and the properly spined to slightly over spined shaft that are consistant within the dozen , then its time to look for other problems
Old 08-17-2006, 03:17 PM

I am shooting the xt hunters in 5575 and the short blazer straight vains. I would guess the vanes are 3 inches, but will check when I get home. You guessed it, I am working.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:18 PM

Sorry tschammel,
They are all over the place. They are not in one direction.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:07 PM

I know this sounds dumb but don't over do it out there. I can't shoot worth a darn after I've shot alot.Are you hitting the orange with your fieldpoints out to 50 yards?

I also have the blazers and have had great luck with them so far. They are flying with my field points. The only thing different is that I am using 4 blade muzzy's 100 gr instead of 3. My blazers are 2" long.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:41 PM

My blazers are 2 inches long. I have heard several people saying that it does matter and others saying it doesn't matter if your blades line up with your vanes. What is your opinion? Some also say opposite.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

stink,

I think your prblem is solveable, and very easily. Just for starters you can crank the weight down on the bow to about 65# and see if the flight is any better. Your setup is using underspined arrows. Yeh, I know you did all the tuning; shooting through paper and what-not. Just turn the weight down and see what happenes. If what I suspect is true then you have a couple choices. Either set the bow up at a lower weight (plenty for deer) or buy stiffer arrows (a waste of money).
Old 08-18-2006, 05:55 AM

I have always used these arrows at 70 pounds. I have heard lately that I am on the edge of being under spined. The problem came about when I bought my new xt. I decided to try the WB. This caused me to have to change from 4 inch vanes to the 2 inch blazers. So it could be a combination of under spined and small vanes.

I need to stay at 70 pounds. My passion is elk hunting. I did shoot stiffer shafts at the bow shop while paper tuning and it didn't make a difference in the paper tear. I guess it could go back to the WB and the need for 2 inch vanes.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

BG's right. Underspined for starters. Yep you agrivated the situation by reducing the vane wieght. Another reason I ask just how much does a wb cost?[:@]

Did you paper tune with Broadheads? I'm guessing no. Different story with a broadhead not to mention Thunderheads run heavy. !00's are around 105-108 grns.

Could be other things, but there's a start.

Quick Reply: broadhead not hitting consistently

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.