Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

broadhead not hitting consistently

Old 08-18-2006, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: broadhead not hitting consistently

Stinkbelly, my best guess would start if you are tip out that you can see then something is not right, and most fixed blade heads are going to plan big time. Just because you papertuned if you are tip out and your feild tips are hitting good something is still wrong. The arrow has to leave straight or its going to plan all over, I have not heard of any problems with the switchback but a buddy of mine had bought the outback and we had the same problem with his and it came to be cam lean. You might want to check that out.. Just my two cents.. Walt
Old 08-18-2006, 08:36 AM

SB,

First off, as was already stated, you are either underspined or right on the edge. I really don't follow the charts exactly as my setup should be underspined also but works great for me. If yours is not working, stiffer arrows may be in order or lower your draw weight. It looks like you want to stay at 70lbs. so you may have to buy new arrows.

ORIGINAL: stinkbelly

I am shooting the xt hunters in 5575 and the short blazer straight vains.
This had me wondering. Do your Blazers have any offset or helical to them? If not, that could be your problem. I shoot Blazers with fixed blade broadheads and they hit the same as my field points but mine have an offset helical to them.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:41 AM

The blazer vanes are glued on the shaft perfectly straight.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

PEEPSIGHT?
Old 08-18-2006, 03:41 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: stinkbelly

Sounds like you need a little more drag on the back. I know people are loving the blazers. But sounds like several combo of problems.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:07 PM

DANG it!!!! Now I have to go back to the drawing board. Thanks fellas.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's problem #1, underspined arrows are #2.

I know you want to stay at 70#, but just for a little, inexpensive experiment, you can back off the limb bolts until you are at #64-65. Refletch a few arrows with HELICAL Blazers, and see if your broadheads don't shoot lots better. If they do, then you may need to go to 75/95 and helical fletch to cure the problem at #70.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:44 AM

The cure ( I think).

I went out and bought goldtip 7595 arrows. I also had them fletched with very slight helical. They say you shouldn't shoot helical with the WB.

I tore my setup apart and started fresh. I didn't papertune it, I went directly to broadhead tuning. After about 5 shooting sessions, I am putting my broadheads within 1 inch of my field tips at 30 yards. Basically my centershot went from 15/16" with the 5575 to 11/16" with my new 7595 arrows. I am feeling much better about my setup, Luckily. I go elk hunting in just over a week.

I also bought the NAP quicktune 360. I am considering changing it out for my WB. This will allow me to go back to 4" vanes and do away with the requirement of a 2" vane. I haven't put it on yet, but thinking hard.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good job! Sounds like you are doing much better. BTW, helical Blazers will shoot fine with the Whisker Biscuit. There is no reason you can't shoot helical with the biscuit. Then again, helical Blazers will also clear a shoot through rest easier than longer fletch that is helical, so you should be fine with the NAP too. Good luck with whatever you decide to use.