Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Couple of problems with my new bow setup

Old 08-17-2006, 11:48 AM

Default Couple of problems with my new bow setup

A little help, please. I just got my new bow package from Huntersfriend.com (ReflexExcursion)and have been having a great time with it, but there are two problems I'm not sure how to deal with. Hopefully someone will have solutions for me.

First, I find that my sight pins become impossibly blurred at full drawwhen there is visual interference with the one of the 3 strands of string using the peep sightshown below.

Second problem is with the string silencers shown here (on the right), which do theirjobVERY effectively whenthey don't come flying off. One of them comes off nearly every time Ishoot and the other comes off periodically as well.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:52 PM

Default RE: Couple of problems with my new bow setup

Get a 2 strand peep sight. I don't have any problems with those.

I have not had the string silencer problem. Get some cat whiskers.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:56 PM

Try Jim Fletchers Tru Peep I'll never go back to the 3 strand , 2 strand is great.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: paka

Try Jim Fletchers Tru Peep I'll never go back to the 3 strand , 2 strand is great.
Thats the one.Tru-peep.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:28 PM

So, does this Tru Peep somehow automatically line up correctly at full draw or does it usually require some tinkering?

As for the string dampeners, they work so well (when they stay on)that I'd like to stick with them instead of go to the cat whiskers. While looking online at the peep I happened to find this pic that shows some kind of a wrap on either side. I'm certain the string dampeners would stay put if I had these types of wrap on either side of them. I'm thinking waxed dental floss might work. What do you think?

Old 08-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get a quality string {minimum} , and while your at it cabels as well [best]
then get a 1/4 inch true peep installed correctly , problem solved .
Your problem is the stock string [junk] does not have enough twists in it thats why your silencers fly out and the peep rotates diferantly when you draw your bow back . Useing a peep with a rubber band attached is NOT the way to go , it would be the cheap easy way but your silencers will still fly and there are many other negitives to the rubber band peep .
Old 08-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

i ordered the highlander package. my leeches dont come off my string(noticed they DID move downwards a bit..but slide back up with a little effort) but my alpha shox did come off..well one kinda popps 1/4 way off...i think its shot..ive shot over 1000 shots in a week of shooting and thats the only problem ive had. the peep does gimme a little trouble occassionally but when i check my anchors i usually find its me and if i was positioned right i wouldnt have a problem..though i may switch to a new peep after the season. next year ill end up doing alot of mods to the bow. probably new stings and cables....sights and rest too...good luck..
Old 08-17-2006, 03:02 PM

I use the same peep, but the one that splits the string 4 times instead of three. It works much better.

Once your string settles in you can have it aligned so it rotates around to the correct spot everytime. Or a string loop may help. If worst come to worst you coulp use some rubber hose to align it correctly for you.

Serve your string silencers in, they will stay put then.

Paul
Old 08-17-2006, 08:06 PM

I got a Gibblet string a couple of months ago...my tech said shoot it a couple of hundred times and come back and i'll reset your peep after the string has streched...took it back to the shop today to measure my poundage and he said "ready to reset your peep?" i said nope! i've shot it about 500 times and it has not moved thanks! i use the Tru peep also and it is everything everyone olse has said.

Bo