Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Any Oneida Shooters out there?

Old 08-17-2006, 09:59 AM

Default Any Oneida Shooters out there?

Looking to buy one ,always liked theredesign,but I here pros-&-cons , whats your opinion ?
Old 08-28-2006, 11:42 AM

Default RE: Any Oneida Shooters out there?

The ATA length is too long for my liking!
Old 08-28-2006, 04:48 PM

I shot one years ago. Killed a lot of game with it and I too liked the design. However, (and this is proabbly outdated by their new stuff) it was a heavy and loud bow. I did all kinds of tricks to get it quieted down but never could so I started shooting Hoyts. My friend still has that Onieda though...
Old 08-28-2006, 05:47 PM

My (old) boss had one.

Cons: Long, heavy, loud, lots of movement, finding spare parts is tough.

Pros: um...........I will post when I have some.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:08 PM

An Oneida Black Eagle is 4 pounds, that is hardly heavy when compared to other bows. Parts are easy to get, I was able to get parts for a 15 year old Strike Eagle by calling the factory. they had eveything from new limbs, to timing system to replacement cams if I needed them. Are they for everyone? No. Are they loud? I don't find my BE particularly loud when it is properly tuned and in time and shooting a 420 grain arrow out of a 60 pound bow. Maybe a bit heavy arrow for some folks but I prefer a heavier arrow for hunting . It is quiet when I shoot a 560 grain hunting arrow out of it.

The lenght takes getting used to if you are used to todays 33 inch bows, although a 44 inch tip to tip bow is shorter than the first compounds I learned how to shoot on. You will most likely have to service it yourself as the dealer network is non existant in most parts of the county (However the factory will do it with very good turn around time and taking care of the bow is pretty darn easy). You will have to get used to limp tip travel as people have been known to catch their legs or a twig with one of the outboards. Just something to be aware of.

Advantages. They seem to handle a heavy arrow really well. I don't have any great scientific proof on this but it is a common comment about them by folks who shoot them. Perhaps one of them has actually down the chrono and stuff. The draw cycle is the smoothest on the market. SOme of the wheel bows have closed the gap but the ramp up to peak weight and drop into a nice long valley (If this is something that appeals to you, some like short valleys) is something that no bow can really compare to.

I have three Oneidas and I have a Bowtech Tribute as well. Each bow I like for different reasons.. The only advice I give anyone is try one.. You may or may not like it but it is the only way you will find out if it is the bow for you. Go over to www.oneidaeaglebows.com and click on the forumn section and register and ask a few questions. If you are lucky you might find someone in your area that has one .. Most folks on that site would be happy to take their bow for a test drive at the range. I know I have done it from time to time.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:14 PM

I shoot Oneida. I love mine. It is actually rather quite, and I even have the H500, which was made in the late 80's. Works better than ever and shoots fast as lightening. A big pro is that you can shoot like 10 lbs. above your regular draw weight because the draw is so smooth.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:04 PM

Go to the Oneida forums and join. If anyone on there is within a reasonable distance from you I'm sure they would let you try out their bow. In my opinion they are the most user friendly compoundbow ever marketed. I just ordered parts to rebuild my bow, witha littleresearch and reading I've found all the info. I'll need to completely tear down and rebuild a 20+ year old bow. Parts are easy to find and reasonably priced. These bows do like a heavier arrow but they hit like a ton of bricks. Some say that they are loud, but if you look at the silencing equipment that comes standard on new bows it really doesn't take any more for an Oneida. You do however have to watch the limbs till you are used tohow they move.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:53 AM

i got to agree with IL ranger...

i have owned about 15 of these bows threw the years . mostly screaming eagles and the black eagle ...and yes the out right handle a longer arrow better than most bows i have tryed . i own a 2006 tribute but i do in fact like the black eagles from ground hunts . i now hunt mostly from tree stands and thats where the bows are not as short and compact as most other compounds are ...as far as noise .. thats totall BS .the bows are fast and noise has little effect to the bows them selfs or how they shot ...

a good point was made try one and see what you think for your self ...only you know what kind of bowmen you are and where you hunt ...

they are not a fly by night company and do servce their bows ...
Old 08-30-2006, 11:45 AM

Well yes I am,
I own a original Screaming Eagle E600 I purchased the first year they came out! Which was a very popular bow out here on long Island, I believe I bought the bow in 1984 and I still hunt with it today on occasions! I got so good with working on these bows that an archery here on the island still calls on me for repairs on these bows, about 15 years now Their are alot of people that swear by these bows! as far as the old wise tale that they sound like a firecracker when fired is not true! as long as you know how to tune this bow and use a heavy enough arrow, I use a 2219 I installed the 90lb limbs on this bow and shoot it at about 80lbs its not like pulling 80lbs on one of todays bows by far Its a fast hard hitting high energy kinetic bow that will never DIE !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 08:24 PM

<image/yes.gif>
HELLO ALL IM NEW TO HUNTING I PICKED UP AN ONEIDA TOMCAT X80 AND THIS THIG ROCKS IN SPEED AND EASE OF USE IVE NEVER SHOT A BOW TILL LASTWEEK BUT I NEED TO FIND SOME INFO OUTHER THAN ONEIDAS WEB SITE IF YOU OR ANY ONE CAN HELP E-MAIL ME AT [email protected]

Quick Reply: Any Oneida Shooters out there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.