Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Drop broadhead weight?

Old 08-14-2006, 02:33 PM

Default Drop broadhead weight?

Just wondering what all you guys think.......

My bow is set to 55lbs. I am shooting Carbon Fury arrows (4560) and 125 grain broadhead.

Arrows fly great and I am pretty accurate to at least 30 yards. I tried 100, 90, and 80 grain feild points over the summer. The bow shot just as good, I just needed to adjust the sights.

By doing some basic math, I notice that the KE is not much different if I use a lighter broadhead, but should give me a faster shot.

I guess what I am trying to find out is if I should hold on to my broadheads, or spend money on new ones. Is there any bennefit, other than speed, by going with a lighter broadhead?

Old 08-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Drop broadhead weight?

check your arrow spine, dropping back may cause you to be overspined, but im guessing your fine... if its shooting great dont change. Infact w. that low of draw weight its probably gonna give you more KE to use a heavier tip
Old 08-15-2006, 04:36 AM

Default RE: Drop broadhead weight?

The speed difference from that kind of weight drop, will mean almost nothing within normal hunting distances. However, it will drop your FOC and broadheads will not be as forgiving in wind or when hitting small twigs/grasses. As long as you're spined stiff enough, I'd leave them.