Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shooting low and right with blazers

Old 08-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shooting low and right with blazers

I have changed from 4 " vanes to Blazers and my arrows are flying low and right as compared to the vanes. You would think that they should hit higher.
I have adjusted my sights accordingly but am baffled by this.
I justshot some other arrows with feathers and they fly high and left, shooting the same as my old vane setup.
Any ideas why?
Old 08-13-2006, 11:07 AM

Default RE: Shooting low and right with blazers

I would check for fletching contact. Also blazers are lighter and smaller, it may have effected your spine if you were close to being weak. Most know that adding point weight will weaken the spine of an arrow, but making the tail lighter also decreases dynamic spine.

Might also have a different offset causing more drag? Who knows, just goes to prove that any time you change ANYTHING in your set up it may require re-tuning your bow. You should check your tune, not just move your sights.

Paul
Old 08-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had been shooting 4" feathers and then I went to blazers. I too shot low and right, due to fletching contact. I may have had the contact with the feathers and never knew it because they are much more forgiving of contact, but with as stiff as blazers are, they will definitely affect the flight of your arrow with the slightest contact of any kind. If it's not contact, then you may have a mystery on your hands!
Old 08-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

I just had a somewhat pleasant and mystifying surprise. I prefer feathers but just yesterday tested my Muzzy 100 grain 3 blade heads using both. The Blazered arrows shot right with my field points with excellent flight out to 40 yards(maximum I shot yesterday). The 4" feathered arrows didn't fly well, surprised me.........I still have some broadhead tuning to do.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I would check for fletching contact. Also blazers are lighter and smaller,

Paul
Actually Blazers weigh 6 grains each, 4" feathers, usually weigh in at 3 grains.

Interesting to say the least Wags, you gained about 9 grains, 3 per Blazer however it's irrelevant to arrow flight. I'm thinking aloud now, how were the feathers fletched, helical, offset..I'm forgetting what your arrows looked like. How are the Blazers fletch? What is the exact difference in point of impact?

I have ACC's fletched with both 2" Blazers and with 3" Duravanes...they fly exactly the same point of impact. Why your Blazers are hitting differently than your feathers is actually interesting.

I'd start looking for contact because of the higher profile Blazers. Next time you get a chance to come up, or I down to shoot, bring both sets of arrows. I'll shoot them out of my Allegiance...could just be that damn Switchback.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:36 PM

just for info, if you expect to be shooting a little faster - you should expect your arrows to hit a little low. flatter trajectory means lower poi if you haven't changed your sights.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, I'll check for contact but have not noticed any previously.
I am at a loss as to why it would be a lower poi with a faster arrow without changing the sights?
Old 08-14-2006, 02:57 PM

think trajectory, and maximum elevation at certain distances.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:53 PM

I meant lighter than 4" vanes, which is what he said he switched from. Not feathers. Only by a couple of grains though. I was told blazers were pretty light, but your right, I just weighed mine, exactly 6 grns. I was lead to believe they were about as light as feathers.

Paul
Old 08-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

My bad Paul, I quoted after reading his feather comment....Your right on with your reply.

I'm still puzzled tho, Blazers are lighter than 4" vanes yet his Blazers are going low right, he shoots feathers which are lighter than the Blazers and they shoot high left...has to be contact...?

My Blazers are grouping with my 3" Duravanes...

Quick Reply: Shooting low and right with blazers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.