Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Compund Bow axle disassembly

Old 08-11-2006, 08:07 AM

Default Compund Bow axle disassembly

I'm planning to change a buss cale on my compund bow (quad limbs-Jennings Buckmaster Lite) for the first time. Are there any precautions regardingchanging the cable? Can I remove the axle to inspect and lubricate. I even built a wooden bench to hold the bow while it's tensioned with a portable bow press when I change the cable.

I read somewhere not to remove the axle on quad limbs??.

Thank you for your comments.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Compund Bow axle disassembly

You can definitely remove the axle if the limbs are under stress in a press. I do it all the time. I not sure about your bow, but if it has bearings in the cam/idler then you don't need to lube them. If it's bushings then by all means give it a try. I suggest using white lithium grease on the axles/bushings.

Just pay attention to how any washers are located when you pull things apart. You may have to tap the axles out. Just don't get carried away. A twelve pound sledge isn't necessary, LOL.

Some guys may say just take it to a shop, and yadda yadda yadda. You sound like you have a general idea of what to do, so how are you going to learn? I always say it's good to know and do this stuff. Then you have better ideas of what's going on if the bow starts shooting goofy.

To explain more, when I get a new bow I mount a rest and set the drawlength and chrono the bow. This gives me a general idea of what performance I can expect. Next step is complete disassembly and throw it in a pile on the floor. Inspect every little part and then put it all together again.
Goffed up a few times, but figured it out. Then got smarter and started drawing pics of how the rigging fit the cam. Now all I do is take a digital pic for reference.

Go for it.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never fooled with split limb bows, but when removing my axles I follow themout with a phillips head screwdriver of slightly smaller diameter. and then leave it and the cam in place unless the limb holes need cleaning to.
I usually run a q-tip through them one attime to clean them.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:46 PM

Just be sure that it goes back in the same as it all came out (spacers, hangers, washers, clips...). I'd stay away from any grease since you're in western NY (freezing conditions) and go for a dry film lube like LPS 1 instead.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:59 PM

Thanksfor all the valuable advice and encouragement.I strongly agree that when you service your own bowyou'llattain a deeper understanding behind the mechanics and physicsof the compound. I changed a cable (Winners Choice) by myself for the first time and replaced a somewhat jagged module that frayed my previous cable. I evenbuilt a work bench to hold the bow while I use the portable press. Next will be servicing the axle assembly and aligning of the peep to eliminate the tubing.