Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Blazers?

Old 08-09-2006, 02:21 AM

Default Blazers?

I have seen a lot of people that say they like blazers better. What makes them fly better tha regular 4" vanes?
Old 08-09-2006, 05:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Blazers?

Nothing except they are shorter. If you shoot a drop away that extra distance is helpful. Anything else really doesn't matter unless you use a biscuit. The higher profile could cause contact problems, but they're shorter and that could help. The less weight could help or hinderan foc issue.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:46 PM

I just got some today, haven't fletched any yet though. The guy at the shop told me they are stiffer than regular vanes. This is why you can use a smaller vane and get better steering from it. However they are not like the quickspins, you have to fletch them with some sort of helical or offset to get some spin.

I haven't messed with them yet so I can't say for sure. However there are probably a hundred posts on them if you do a search. I have never really read many of them because I am a feathers guy, but I decided to try some just for the heck of it today.

Paul
Old 08-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its the aerodynamics of them. They tend to "hold onto" the air better, making them stabilize the arrow better.

Or maybe is cause they're so darn cute.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

In areodynamics it simply comes down to their profile and stiffness. They are of higher profile and stiffness compared to 4" vanes thusly dragging more air. More air drag means arrow stabilization as does spin, the faster/sooner you get an arrow to spin, the quicker it will stabilize thusly needing air drag to do such.....

Old 08-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have never really read many of them because I am a feathers guy, but I decided to try some just for the heck of it today.
Me too. You can call Bohnings 1-800 # and they'll send you a free sample of some; I did today just to fletch up some and see what all the ruckus is about.

Rob... "thusly"?

You've been reading too many of my posts... [8D]
Old 08-10-2006, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone that wants to try some let me know and I will gladly get some out to you as long as you are in the lower 48. I can also send a few to anyone that wants them elsewhere, but you gotta cover the shipping if its really high.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:21 AM

the only downside to them is they are so stiff. they're what i shoot and i love them - but its always a trade-off. i always take a feathered arrow in my quiver in case the shot that presents itself is in a very tight spot. a feather will lay down when encountering a small twig or other type of obstacle and the arrow remains true enough. a blazer won't. the blazer is my first hunting choice, but if its real tight i'm grabbing the feather.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: HuntingEd

Or maybe is cause they're so darn cute.