Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

starting with a bow!

Old 08-03-2006, 09:11 AM

Default starting with a bow!

my son is wanting to buy a bow!!! I am not sure what to start him out with. he wieghs aprox. 100 pounds and is very strong for his age (10)
I could use some suggestions as i am totally clued out when it comes to bows etc. what kind of bow -recurve or compound -what kind of sites etc. I could use some help from some seasoned bow hunters on this !! thanx:
Old 08-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: starting with a bow!

micro midas
Old 08-04-2006, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Heres what I recommend, since hes still growing you want a bow that will grow with him. And a great starter bow is a Mathews Genisis Pro. Its fully adjustable and will grow with him for a while. http://www.mathewsinc.com/v2/home/products/Catalog.asp?btnSubmit=ByCatalog&cboCatalogCate goryID=87&cboCatalogID=377
Old 08-04-2006, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

martin makes some good bows that have very large weight variences... My girlfriend shoots one thats 35-50, which is good cause she can deer hunt w/ it. But they make lighter ones... Id suggest starting him round 20-25 lbs,keep it light so he can work on his form and learn the art of archery.... if you start out struggling to pull to much weight you'll develop poor form and that can take years to overcome...

But overall martin makes good bows, also browning would be my 2nd choice, they make some awesome youth bows that have the right draw weights

You might want to take him to a shop and get his draw length measured, and make sure you get a bow that you can easily adjust the draw length so it can grow w/ him.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

I will 2nd the Genesis Pro.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hoyt Rintec, great bow and lots of draw adjustments so he can continue to use it as he grows. 8" of draw length adjustability and it just looks and feels more like an "adult" bow than a "youth" bow. My wife shoots the Rintec XL and she loves it. The XL has 5" of adjustability and upgraded cams. For a bow that he is going to be able to both practice with and hunt with, I thi nk the Hoyt is a better choice than the Genesis.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

i will put a 3rd vote on thatbut willsay that I've heard good thingsabout Parker Micro Phoenix also.
ORIGINAL: 98Redline

I will 2nd the Genesis Pro.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:16 PM

The Browning Micro Midas III is simply fantastic. 10" of draw length adjustment and weights from 30 to 40 pounds. We can't keep them on the shelf. Oh, and they are darn fast too. IBO 275. Pretty darn good for a small, lightweight bow.

I may be off base here, but I don't like the Genesis, and not because it's a Mathews. While it's a great idea, the problem is it teaches poor form. The reason for that is there is no back wall on the draw. It's kind of like shooting a recurve, only with wheels. There is no consistent draw stopping point, and it's very easy for a young shooter to draw too far one time, and too short the next.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:52 PM

SITES ?????

Old 08-05-2006, 03:45 PM

every article i have ever read says the micro midas is the way to go for kids... they can be upgraded more than any other bow

Quick Reply: starting with a bow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.