Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

beating a dog to death.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:20 PM

Default beating a dog to death.

guys, I promise this is the last time I get on this subject. Once again I'm shooting 400gr epics, 100gr tips. If I go from 4" fletchings to 2" blazers and lighten it up in the back. This would increase my distance from center to balance point. For example: If I raise my % from 10.52 to 12.2, Is this what I am looking for out in the field to make my arrow travel better in any type of weather situation? and will this % raise make a tighter group?
sorry about beating this to death.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:49 PM

Default RE: beating a dog to death.

An arrow, or any object for that matter, will ALWAYS fly heavy end forward. So, the LOWER your FOC the greater the desire for the arrow to flip over and fly nock forward. Now, if you are just shooting field points, a lower FOC won't be noticed as badly. Put on a broadhead, and it's a different story. Once that broadhead gets girrating up and down, because of the desire for the arrow to flip over, the harder it is to stabilize. That's why a higher FOC is desireable for hunting. The smoother and straighter a broadhead is launched, the truer it will fly.

Also, FOC calculators are ok, if you just want a general idea. But they aren't 100% accurate. There's only one way to know for sure. Mark the exact center of your arrow. Next, balance the FINISHED arrow on a butter knife blade, or some other fulcrum, and mark the balance point. Subtract the two to find the difference, divide that by the total arrow length,and mulitply by 100. That's all there is to it.

It's generally accepted that 10-14% is good for hunting.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:48 PM

hey sir, I figured it the way that you told me to and came up with that %. I just got back in from shooting I shot both field and broadheads. shooting from 20, 25 and 30 yards, I have the same impact point at each distance. There is no difference between fields and broads.thanks
Old 07-31-2006, 07:50 PM

SIR????????? SIR???????? You callin me names????? LOL

Glad it worked out.