Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fps

Old 07-30-2006, 12:18 AM

Default fps

Today I went and chronographed some arrows to see where I was at. I have a 29" draw and 66# draw weight. I'm shooting 400gr easton epics with 100 grain tips and I was averaging 258fps. I really thought I would get more but I didn't. I know there are alot of things that can be done to improve it, but what would be probably be the 1 major thing to do, to improve the arrows thatI'm using. Any takers on this question?
Old 07-30-2006, 04:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: fps

I do not know if I would change a thing with your setup. 258 fps isn't a bad number when you consider the distances most deer are shot at...especially in the eastern part of the country. Most of my hunting setups still average in the 265-275 fps range because I have found it offers the best compromise between a relatively flat trajectory and decent KE/penetration. (not sacrificing a smooth draw or low recoil in the process)

Going lighter with your arrow weight may increase speed (though how much of a flatter trajectory will be obtained is questionable) but you will start losing Kinetic energy thus your penetration potential will go down. Really the only way to increase speed and not lose penetration is to bump up your draw weight. Again though, moving it up to 70 lbs will only net you about 7-8 fps. That will increase KE noticeably but the flatness of your trajectory will, again, only get marginally better.

Out of curiousity, what string accessories do you have installed? Depending on what you have installed and where they are installed you can lose quite a bit of speed. Ultimately though accuracy is the most important issue for most archers today. If your setup produces decent speed, decent penetration and good accuracy then I would not try to change a thing because you may lose some of the latter.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:04 AM

thanks PAbow for the reply. I am using the bowjax. I have 2 on the cable and 2 on the string, the1 on the lower string is spaced about 5" up from the cam. The upper is about 3" down from the idler, In other words about halfway between the peep and idler.I am also shooting with wb, how much do you think that slows it down. Thank for the knowledge
pigslayer over and out.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with PABowhntr, increasing your draw weight will gain you a few fps, not enough to make much of a difference in impact point or trajectory but you will gain Kinetic Energy but if your comfortable at the weight your at, at the expense of accuracy, I wouldn't change a thing.....

There are multitudes of ways to increase speed, with the exception of extremes, most are only a few fps here or there and you'll sacrifice the bow performance...stick with what you have and be as accurate as you can be....it comes down to judging or ranging your distance and hitting your mark regardless the speed of ones bow.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

We took the WB off a friends bow, added the Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter and only gained 6 fps but did gain accuracy...he said he's never shot better groups...
Old 07-30-2006, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

you may want to go to your stands, pace off distances to various trees, landmarks, etc. Its still plenty of time until season for the scent to wash away. Then you'll know the distance and speed becomes a moot point.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great advice by everyone else thus far.

As for your string accessories, I cannot say exactly how much those string jax slow your arrow speed down. Rubber "cat whisker" string silencers can slow arrow speed down significantly, 8-10 fps, depending on the size and location. Both the string leeches and the hush kit "squidees" result in marginal speed loss, 3-4 fps, again depending on where they are located and how many you have installed.

The WB, assuming it is a newer model, should only reduce arrow speed my a max of 2 fps assuming it is properly tuned and you aren't using an extremely aggressive helical on your fletching.

Hope this helps.