Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

question about peep sights

Old 07-30-2006, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: question about peep sights

Did you ever shoot without a peep? I took mine off four years ago and won't put it back on. I shoot much better with both eyes open...being able to see everything.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I first started archery years ago I did try it then tried the peep and liked it much better, I'll probably stick with the peep..
I guess I'll just go back to my ol' rubber hose peep and just get a larger hole to view through with one of those. This G5 is nice but if it won't stay straight then I won't use it...
Old 07-30-2006, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Before giving up , unless the peep at full draw is turned way off you can just adjust your d loop to bring it around at full draw . If the peep is like turned half way around then you will have to press the bow and twist the string to get it to turn around and then adjust the d loop for the small part of the rotation if needed.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

"the problem with your peep is caused by some serving on the string being wound in the wrong direction. while you can put twists in the string to get it to come back correctly, when you get in inclimate weather the issue gets compounded - and chances are it won't do the same thing it does when when you're shooting in normal weather. just to let you know because i know you don't want any issues when you're hunting. to get by, wal-mart sells some elastic chord in the sewing section. you can super glue it to your peep and use it like a peep tube. its real thin,and i've even seen it increase speed on a bow."

Sounds just like when I set up my bow with your strings. What are you telling me?

Those old Hoyt strings were fine in all weather conditions (I did have a problem once but that was my fault).

No press of a bow. No twist in strings to fix peep alignment. What's next?
[align=right]
[/align]
Old 07-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

"When I first started archery years ago I did try it then tried the peep and liked it much better, I'll probably stick with the peep..
I guess I'll just go back to my ol' rubber hose peep and just get a larger hole to view through with one of those. This G5 is nice but if it won't stay straight then I won't use it..."

Don't want you to be cussing me out, but I think you should at least give it a shot. You can always put a tubed peep back in and be good to go inno time. Weather will be changing soon and you can check things out before hunting. You have the peep, nothing to loose and some useful info to be gained.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, I think it's a good idea and I may still give it shot but I'm just a really impatient and very picky kind of guy. Partly because of my lack of time, I like to be ready to go as soon as possible.

The only problem I have with that idea is I'm just not the most confident person in the world when it comes to super glue holding certain things.. I mean like you said, with it getting really cold and the pressure on that string that's just glued to the peep, my thought is it could bust at any time..
I replace the rubber tube usually twice a year and I've never had a problem with one coming off or lining up right.. I'll mess with it bit but I'm not going to get extreme with it..

And if the string is off a bit I hate to replace it just cuz of a peep, it shoots good and thestring still looks good. Although it is the original string from Mathews on an Outback.

I dunno, I'll mess with it some tomorrow and let ya know what I come up with..
Thanks for the advice..
Old 07-31-2006, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just put on the G5 peep sight and I love it. The blue peep just lines up perfectly with the yellow ring around my sights! Definitely worth the money to get this peep!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

Don't use glue or anything extra on your string including inline loop knocks. All you have to do take your bow to a bow shop and have them put it in a press and twist the string until your peep lines up every time. Once you get it there it will stay unless you have a brand new string and it is still streching. Just went throught the same thing last year. It is soooooooo nice shooting without the frickin rubber tube floping all over the place
Old 07-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

You've pretty much gotten the answers to your problem.
It will take some time tinkering with the string the get the peep to line up--even moving a few strands from one side (of the peep)to the other will do the trick sometimes. But the swing in weather, does affect the tubeless peep sometimes.
I would say, since you seem like aguy with limited amount of timeand confidence is at the forefront--then you're better off using a peep with a tube. This way you'll never have to worry about the peep not aligning. One less thing to worry about.
Predator Products Co, makes the Perfect Circle peep, 1/4 dia, that has a perfect circular holeon bows 32"-44"ATA, and comes with the tube.
I've used this peep in the past and it worksreally well.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just installed the 1/4" version of the G5 peep and like it a lot so far.

Quick Reply: question about peep sights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.