Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

ATTN STS users!

Old 07-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default ATTN STS users!

So heres the deal. My STS eliminated hand shock and gave me a few FPS, but i dont like the slapping sound i get when i shoot.

I emailed them and they havnt gotten back to me, but im thinking of modifying the stopper on the STS.

My thought was to slice the stopper lengthwise about 1/8" deep. Then adjusting the STS so that the newly made slice wraps around the string. Essentially "grabbing" it.

Im thinking that this would severely lessing the slapping sound. But im concerned my string would eat apart the stopper after awhile. Any thoughts on this.

PS. I've adjusted the distance from the string to make it as quiet as possible, Ive also tried moving some of those simple rubber stoppers that i had on my string so that they hit the STS first. No matter what i do i still get a slapping sound. I need to shoot the bow w/o the STS to get a good feel for the old sound. I plan on doing that before I do anything dramatic.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ATTN STS users!

I would think the string would slice the stopper right in two. There is a slow-motion video running around of one in action and it appears to take one heck of a whoopin' from the string.

Have you served the string yet where it hit's the stopper?

I ended up adding a string leech on the top of my Tribute's stringand feel that it made the bow even quieter than before.

For grins you can just rotate the STS out of the way for a few shots to help compare.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think they slap too, but we are certainly in the minority. Over on Archerytalk, there are some guys who would just as soon neuter you for saying anything that's not totally positive about the STS. For the record, I had mine as much as 1/2" away from the string, and could never find the "sweet spot." The bow I used it on was a Darton, which are known for vibration and noise. Go figure.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I actually had an idea for a version that was 2 facing plates with soft bristles on the inside that overlap and the string would slide into them. No slapping sound and the bristles would grab the string.[:-]

Huh? huh? not bad huh?

Old 07-25-2006, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

And then think of the money you could make selling replacement bristles...
Old 07-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt - yea i was thinking thats kinda what mine would be like. Im just worried that cutting it would rip the stopper in two when i shot.

Dave C- I served the string and that didnt help much. Did you put your string leech so it hits the STS instead of the serving?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, it just the string & serving. The leech is up top as close to the upper serving as possible- that is whereI could still hear some string twang when shot from inside my ground blind.

Once again, I like the STS on my Patriot, but don't feel my Tribute gains much from it.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

tonight im gonna shoot my bow again w/o the STS, I'll get my gf to listen. I'll try some things and see what happens... keep yall posted.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

A video camera would also help you discern the different noises, you could do a with & without & play it back with the volume cranked to get a feel for the different noises that are heard from a distance.

Add a tripod into the mix & you can video yourself shooting towards the camera to hear what the deer hears at ~15-20 yards.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

can and will do!

Quick Reply: ATTN STS users!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.