Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

ATTN STS users!

Old 07-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ATTN STS users!

Shot my bow w/ the camera, as well as took off the STS and shot.

HUGE Difference. The bow is noticibly quieter w/ the STS. It feels so uncomfortable to shoot w/o the STS, the hand shock that is completely gone w/ the sts is violent w/o the sts (at least it seems that way). After two shots i put the STS back on and continued to tack drive.

I also put the camera behind my target and shot at 25 yrds. You can hardly hear the bow, and the arrow hits just bout the same time you realize you heard the bow. It also was pretty sweet to watch my arrows fly so fast and straight. A point of view ive never seen. Also got a good look at my form and am pleased w/ it.

I dont think im going to cut my STS now... just leave it the way it is for now.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Matt, you may have the answer there. Hope you figure out how to "Git R Done!"

I do believe that most of the slap heard when using the STS reflects back toward the shooter, just as I believe that the slap you sometimes hear (at least I do) from the Whisker Biscuit is mostly a back of the bow type of noise. I don't think it travels in the direction of the arrow nearly as much as it does in the opposite direction. I do think that with a combo of a Sims Enhancer 2000 and an S-coil, my bows have nearly the same (close to zero) level of vibration as my Darton had with the STS on it, so I just don't see the need right now. That, and the Champions don't have a rear stabilizer bushing. Don't care so much for the front mount.

Ed, what kind of Hoyt do you have that has so much noise and vibration, as you mentioned in giblet's Switchback thread?
Old 07-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

VTEC, I dont get any vibration w/ the STS on. Its like shooting a pellet gun.

I agree, I think the noise is reflected back, because when i put the camera down range it was hardly audible.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:35 PM

Here's something to consider. They've found that children can hear sounds that us adults can't hear. I took a test the other week with my wife and kids and the kids beat us both badly.

Children can hear higher pitched frequencies and have been known to set their cell phones so that their teachers can't hear when their phones ring. Therefore, since deer can hear higher pitches frequencies, I would imagine that childrens' hearing could similate, to some extent, a deer's hearing at a specific spectrum.

Now to the matter at hand. I had a STS on my personal bow and had found the 'sweet spot' after repeated efforts. The 'sweet spot' was that spot that did NOT ruin my tune and which gave me the best shock and noise control. I thought it was great from my perspective.

Then in walks my 13 year old son. As I was shooting he walks up next to me and asks me why my bow is now loud. I couldn't hear a thing, but he was very sincere (out of the mouths of babes ). Anyway, I immediately loosened the STS and moved it out of the way. He said "That's a lot better dad.", and I never put it back on again.

Also, my groups didn't improve and I never hit my arm anyway. It's possible toattribute some of these comments to those who may not be properly set up,or those who might have form problems, or both.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

and I never hit my arm anyway.
Precisely why I've never dropped the $30 or so on one yet... And I just don't see how my bows can get much quieter!
Old 07-26-2006, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

HuntingED, glad you're happy with your findings- confidence is what matters come crunch time.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:52 AM

i don't have one on the sb - its got its own suppressors - but the one and only reason i outfitted my pat with one is i don't like being cold. i'd rather be in the stand with a big jacket on and reasonably warm - than freezing. i can't make it 2 hours if im freezing to death. i could shoot my pat with the sts in my heavy winter non-hunting coat with no fear of the string hitting my jacket. to me - that reason right there is enough to use one for hunting.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think for me, It didnt make it much quiter or louder, but it reduces hand shock and shortens the time of the noise. So Its just one short pop rather than a pop and humm...

Im gonna keep fooling w/ it and try to find the sweet spot.

When you watch the down range shot on the tv w/ vol up high, you barely hear a thud and the arrow hits... Its moving so fast I dont think they'd have time to react that much... By the time you hear the thud, the arrow is already halfway there..
Old 07-26-2006, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

AEP already has the problem solved. They make one that is softer rubber and it is two smaller heads and has four small brisyles on the end but It is not exactly what Matt is talking about but I have had both the STS and the new one from AEP and the AEP is definetly MUCH MUCH quieter........[8D]
Old 07-26-2006, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info, Frank. Sounds really good. Any web site or source for the AEP?

Quick Reply: ATTN STS users!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.