Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Blazer vanes falling off

Old 07-18-2006, 04:31 AM

Default RE: Blazer vanes falling off

My new Blazers do great, even with the occasional foul up while putting them on. The others are right, he probably just didn't degrease the shafts or didn't put enough glue all the way down them.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:55 AM
Spike

Any fletch/vane glued correctly will not dislodge! I would suggest the guy at the shop is at fault - all the more reason you should learn how to do it correctly yourself.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed, the guy fletching them must have had a bad day or something. I use blazers exclusively except for my IBO HC arrows and no problems here. I have also fletched hundreds of them for others through the shop and no problems there either. I use bohning platinum fletchtite, goat tuff, or pine ridge. All those glues work well.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:09 PM

I had the same problem with some of my arrows but I called Blazer and they cleared up the problem. They recommend just cleaning the shaft well with a SOS pad and letting them air dry. Be carefull of soaps and even fabric softeners in the towels you use to dry the arrows. They have lanolin in them. I use Platinum Fletch-tite. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

wrap em if they dont stick again
Old 07-21-2006, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your block or any open layer target is worn out try this: take two rachet straps and tighten securely around the target,it should work like new by squeezing the layers of foam together.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

If your block or any open layer target is worn out try this: take two rachet straps and tighten securely around the target,it should work like new by squeezing the layers of foam together.
THAT, right there, is one of the best tips I've seen here in a long time. Well done, well done!
Old 07-21-2006, 03:36 PM

Thanks Dr. Andy!
Blazer work and I have not had one fall off ever after doing dozens. I have shot one off with another broadhead slamming into it LOL but wrap or no wrap they stay put. Just a bad day for the guy who did it.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

I went back to the shop, they appologized and refletched and checked each arrow (8 total).

Today, the second day of target practice after the shop fixed and checked the fletchings, and again I lost a vane and found 2 others that were loose.

I plan to have the shop do the job right since I already paid for it, but I think in the future I will start fletchin my own arrows.What type of equipment do I need, is it something fairly simple to do? What is the purpose ofwrapping the arrow before putting on the fletching?

-Rick C.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:12 PM

To fletch your own is very, very simple. All you need is the fletching jig of your choice, vanes of your choice, and glue of your choice. It will take a few arrows before you really get the feel of it, but it truely is quite simple.

Wrapping arrows has benefits. First, and most importantly, it makes your arrows look REALLY cool. We all know in archery it's not how good you are, it's how good you look doing it!

Glue adheres better to wraps. The finish on most carbon arrows doesn't promote good adhesion, which is why it is critical to clean the shaft properly first. There are only 2 negatives to wraps, as I see it. First, if you need to replace just one vane, it's a little tricky. I just strip the old one off and put the new one on in the same place. It doesn't look as good, but it performs equally. Second, it adds weight to the back of your arrow. If your FOC isn't negatively affected by that, it doesn't matter.

Quick Reply: Blazer vanes falling off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.