Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Do you NEED a stabilizer?

Old 07-17-2006, 11:57 AM

Default Do you NEED a stabilizer?

Last year I did not use one. First year practicing consistently and bow hunting. I took two deer and felt I was right on most of the time when practicing. But I'm hearing more and more I NEED one to be more accurate. I thought it was a good idea if not for a little more balance, then the shock absortion. So I put on a limbsaver mini scoil. Seems to work fine. Bow is a little quieter but I was shooting a few inches lower for a couple of nights. I think it was just a mental thing as I am back on track now. Your thoughts on stabilizers?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you NEED a stabilizer?

No, you don't need one. In fact the only reason some guys even use a stabilizer is to dampen the bow and reduce some noise. Personally, I use a 12oz stabilizer to add weight to the front of the bow. I like the added weight.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:39 AM

I don't know with the new bows, but with the mid-80's Golden Eagle and the late 70's Ben Pearson I shoot now, the stabilizer makes a HUGE difference in the amount of hand shock and vibration in the bow. I don't have a big or an expensive, name-brand stabilizer, but I tried shooting without it before I put it on, and now I have absolutely no desire to shoot without it again.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Need? no, recommend? yes.

You don't need anything on a bow, sights, stabilizer, rest etc...each has a purpose if you choose to use them, well you do need a string, limbs, riser but that's about it right? Pehaps an arrow...lol .
Old 07-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted without one for 5 years just fine.

I finally broke down and tried one to put some weight out front so the bow had better balance in my hand. I do shoot somewhat more accurately with the stabilizer, and that is simply because thesight pindoes not float on target as much while gaining a sight picture.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on the bow , bowtechs most popular risor patriot/liberty/allegience is natoriously top heavy and in my hand needs weight in the rear hole of the risor , a short stabilizer works well to balence .They allso work well at sound/vibration reduction . The older forward faceing limb design bows balenced great with a longer stabilizer on th front of the risor , allso the added weight helped with recoil/jump.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:39 AM

I too use one for the balance issue. I feel the bow is better balanced in my hand and has less recoil after the shot with one.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot MUCH better with the added weight of a stabilizer, it also dampens shock and vibration greatly!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:54 AM
bigcountry

I like one, but not the 12" or longer ones I see. My rig is a hunting rig. Use the stabilizer to balance your bow, maybe absorb some shock. If you really can't hit a deer at 30 yards without one, you need to practice. I see some guys looking like they are from star trek with 12" staiblizer and v-bars. They say they can't hold on the target without.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

My bow would kick a little (either rotate forward or backward) without mine. Now it barely moves after I release. I didn't need one either but after fixing the little kick I won't go back to archery without one. That's my opinion.

Quick Reply: Do you NEED a stabilizer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.