Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

best penatration

Old 07-18-2006, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: best penatration

I feel it depends on your bow wieght as well as I shoot 75-80 lbs
and shoot arrows that look like tree trunks with a heavey broadhead.
And for me it is all about control. If the arrow is to lite is spins from
the back and then not as acurate. So going heavey I loose a little
distance but the hitting is very hard. One of the deer I had shot
was a hard shot to the briskett and went clean through the heart
and out the side ribbs. Broke four bones on the way through. So I
do not mind the heavey weights at all.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingEd

ORIGINAL: demoIL

For penetration you need a heavier arrow and a bow that will shoot it.. With that said I like the muzzy 3 blade

I'm actually looking for new arrows now and the ones I've been using are 10.7 grains and I'd like to stay in that range.
KE is so important for hunting, more so than speed is...
Speed is very important when it comes to Kinetic energy. Its about a 2:1 ratio. IE if you increase your weight 25 grns but loose 10-12 fps, your dont help your ke. So keep speed in mind when you choose an arrow.
If you are trying to increase kinetic energy, the easiest way to do it is to shoot a heavier arrow. Heavy arrows make your bow more efficient because they absorb more of the bow's energy. With a super light arrow, some of the bows energy is lost through noise and vibration. I've tested different arrow wieghts from 350 grain up to 530 grains at 70# / 30" and I get way more KE from heavier arrows. That's why guys like Fred Bear could kill big African game with 150 fps stick bows - because their arrows were HEAVY and they used 2blade brodheads with a 1:3 ratio.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you run the numbers through any arrow program, you will find that there is a point of diminishing returns on how heavy that you go. I found that 450 grains with my setup was the optimum weight for maximizing KE. With my 520 grain logs, I dropped two pounds of KE. There is a balance between the two.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:12 PM

"A cut on contact head will penetrate better than a trocar tip, unless it curls."

"A steep angle (short) head has a harder time penetrating than a longer gradual angle blade."

Thats a fine theory, but what about testing in consistent, controlled, repeatable tests to prove that? If its true you will see it happen.

As 5 shot has stated, "Heads with shorter ferrules and smaller profiles consistently outpenetrate more traditional styles in my broadhead tests."

Simply put, the 3:1 "cut on contact" penetrates better theory has not proven to be true.

And trocar style tips do penetrate better than "cut on contact" on bone. The trocar tip blows a hole for the rest of the head to follow. A "cut on contact" tip tries to slice its way through, and friction with the ferrule trying to squeeze through the hole kills penetration.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Spike

I happened to be doing some mindless web browsing one night and came across an article regarding broadhead penetration testing. While this article was specific to a hunter going after Cape Buff and his testing the best setup to put an arrow into one of those beasts. The tests proved quite conclusively that a 2 blade razor head provides the best penetration.

It's a pretty long article, but interesting read, if for no other reason then to see what kind of arrows he made to get 980 grains of weight!!!

http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/equipment/penetration/
Old 07-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

For what it's worth and not trying to argue with any one-

For grins yesterday when I decided to poke holes inbrand new never been shot before yellow jacket BH target I did a little at home test.
I know we don't hunt foam, but I was wanting to see if any of my heads would outperform the other in a FRESH target.

All shot from the same arrows all penetrated the same, easily within 1/4" of each other.
Heads-
muzzy phantom
stinger 4 blade
slick trick magnums
muzzy 3 blade
All 4 arrows were shot in the same volley at the same distance but at 4 seperate squares of tape.

I was hoping one would stand out above the rest, but it just didn't happen in foam.
So much for that test[8D].
Old 07-26-2006, 12:33 PM

magnus stinger!!! it can not be beaten for penetration... these are the sharpest and least resistant broadheads made period.... and they fly like field points... they are a bow-hunters wet-dream come true!!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: waltwittman

magnus stinger!!! they are a bow-hunters wet-dream come true!!!!
We must be at different stages in our bowhunting life.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

On real big game? Easy, all of Dr Ashby's testing on big game (and I mean big game) shows that Grizzly 160 grain two blade are the best you can get for penetration.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

All shot from the same arrows all penetrated the same, easily within 1/4" of each other.
Although DaveC's testing was on the informal side, I do think that if your mind is open it speaks volumes. I have seen similar results with various headsin the past.

When a person is talking whitetails I think there is a point that we reach where we start to split hairs on the difference in broadheads and their potential to penetrate... I mean certainly all things being equal a two blade should out penetrate a three blade and a three blade should out penetrate a four etc. Smaller diameter should out penetrate a large diameter etc. But there are uncontrollable varibles in a hunting situation that effect penetration no matter what head one is using. Sometimes a broadhead will get the blame in a certain situation when in fact it wasn't the failure of the head at all.

Purchase a quality head with specsthat are in line with the type of rig you are shooting (in other words one wouldn't want to shoot a two inch cut head shooting a 40 pound bow with a 27 inch draw), tune it to fly where you are aiming, pick a spot on a whitetail's vitals and send an arrow there. If you do that, that deer is going down!

Quick Reply: best penatration

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.