Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

homemade/alternatvie scent products

Old 07-12-2006, 08:40 AM

Default homemade/alternatvie scent products

Using scent products can get expensive if you hunt alot. I do use some store bought stuff, but I make an activated charcoal mix in a spray bottle that seems to work pretty well. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or recipes for scent covers, soaps, or scent elliminators that may be cheaper or more economical... throw some ideas at me.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:09 AM

Default RE: homemade/alternatvie scent products

yeah i made a mix from a recipe that goes like this

16 oz. (2 cups) Peroxide

16 oz. (2 cups) Distilled Water

ΒΌ cup baking soda

1 oz. On non-scented shampoo

(Or adjust amounts to whatever size you make accordingly)

Let sit for several days (1 gallon milk jug works good with lid loose) This recipe is also good for removing blood from your hands in the field after dressing your critter!

Old 07-13-2006, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

At a pet store get activated carbon for aquariums and place 1/2cup in a clean thin nylon sock or hose and tuck these into your boots after hunting for storage. Also keep them in the bag/box you keep you clothes in. It adsorbs the odors on you clothes like scent lok does from your body. Vanilla is great at attracting does and during the pre -rut you want to keep the does around for the boys!
Old 07-14-2006, 03:24 AM

go to fastestbows.com there is a article on scent elimenation spray under reviews or on the right hand side.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:57 AM
Dominant Buck

You can make your own "Carbon Blast" spray at home . Go to your local Wally World and get a bag of their Royal Oak Natural Charcoal , grind some to the finest powder that you can , then sift the powder through a very fine mesh or cloth . Once you have about 2 ounces of talcum fine powder mix it with a quart of distilled water , cover the vessel and shake it vigorously for one minute . Allow the biggest particles to settle for 1-2 minutes , then gently pour off all but the last inch of the water . Strain the water through a very fine mesh cloth into a pump spray bottle . You'll need to shake the spray bottle before spraying , and occasionally while applying the mixture . A 10# bag of natural charcoal will yield more carbon spray than you'll ever realistically need and only costs about $6 . It can also be used as the liquid portion of the scent eliminator recipe in Ite 622's recipe above for added insurance .
Old 07-14-2006, 05:48 AM

i use the one above with
16oz peroxide
1/2 box baking soda
2 capfuls green liquid hunters soap
and the rest of a gallon jug of water
gots to lets it sits with cap loose for a few hours or booooom!

man does it work - and may even lighten my hair a little

i've got some of that charcoal and i'm going to make the water for the water part of the recipe now - great idea kev