Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrows, what to get and what size

Old 07-11-2006, 09:31 PM

Default Arrows, what to get and what size

Alright, Im shooting a hoyt bow at 64 pounds, what would be a good arrow, I currently have 45/60's carbon rebel's with a 100 grain muzzy fixed 3 blade on front, do you think this current setup is too light for the bow?...should i go heavier?.... and if so what do u recommend?...this shoots great like this....I just don't want to cause damage by shooting to light of an arrow, i think they are cut to 28 inches also insert to nock, do you think i should stay with this setup and its not too heavy or what?...thank you!....also does this setup sound like it shoudl work good for whiteails?
Old 07-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrows, what to get and what size

I'm not familiar with that arrow, but yes they sound deadly for whitetails.

If you can weight them you'll know if they are too light for your bow.
But I'm thinking most 28" 45/60 arrows with a 100 grain point should land you between ~365& 390 grains which is above the normal minimum of 5 grains per pound. 5gpp would put you at 320, 5.5= 352, 6gpp= 384.

If it is shooting great and over 320 grains total it time to sharpen them heads and do some scouting.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:37 PM

If you're pulling 64#, and shooting 45/60's, I do believe you are underspined, even at 28". I wouldn't bet my paycheck on it, but I believe so. You would be better suited to a 55/70, or something w/ a spine of .400. Weight difference is minimal.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:39 PM

tomorrow I'm having my bow turned down to 60 pounds.....I mean I could do it myself but I don't have a scale to see what it is at, I'd rather be safe than sorry, when I first got my bow I went out and bought my arrows the guys at gander mountain said i shoudl be fine with the 45/60's, but I don't want to cause any damage to my bow, what is a guidline to go by when figuring out lbs/to grains of arrows?...also i figured out my arrows weigh just a fuz over 20 grams, i don't have a grain scale, its either ounces or grams...lol your pick....at 60 pounds will I be safe with this setup?....I just don't want to cause any damage to my bow by shooting too light of an arrow....do you think I will cause any damage with this setup?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:03 PM

well thats odd...my old sn came back...we changed internet servers and i lost my password that was all numbers that was changed so i made a new one....but for some reason it logged me on as this one....well thats cool i guess
Old 07-13-2006, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good point Mobo, a 400 spine would be closer to what I'd be looking for and push you more towards the 390 range. My beman 400's weigh in at 385 with 100 grain tips.

64#x 5 grains per pound= 320 total (that would be minimum).
60# x 5 grain per pound= 300 total (minimum at 60)

If your bow is, quiet, shooting and grouping well at the ranges you plan to hunt with an arrow that is above 320 grains total then you are ready to hunt as is.

Does hoyt recommend 6 grains per pound? if so that would put you at 384 at your current draw weight and 360 if you turn it down to 60.

If you are currently underspined (the arrow flight would/should tell you that) turning it down to 60 would likely ease you into the upper ranges of the correct spine for that arrow. Once again arrow flight is the final judge on correct arrow spine.

BTW, read my signiature. I just saw your post & thought I'd try to help. There are many more on this message board with more knowledge than I , I'm just another bowhunter. Weigh your arrows at the pro-shop and go with what they say. Your bow may be just fine as it is.

Have fun at the pro shop and bring more money than you plan on spending, I always bring home a little more than I planned on going for!
Old 07-13-2006, 08:31 AM

Apparantly its different for everyone, but those Carbon Rebel 45/60 @ 29" with 125 gr points are way too light (or underspined) for my 60# Ben Pearson. Theyshoot way off to the right (I'm lefty), and leave a nasty jagged tear on the paper test. The Carbon Rebel 60/75@31" with 125 point, however, leaves a perfect outline of the fletching! Overall, it just feels and shoots straighter, much better.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:51 PM

alright, i got my bow tuned down to 58 pounds and the guy at the first outdoor store said i would be fine with the 45/60s and they wouldn't cause any damage, then i went to duhnams, i was going to buy the larger shaft size anyhow, but i talked to two different guys who seemed to know there stuff and said it should be fine and thats what they use and it shouldn't cause any damage, before at 64 pounds shooting paper, i had nice holes in the paper, with no tears, just a hole and then the fletching marks
Old 07-13-2006, 04:16 PM

Yep, you're good to go. Smart move in decreasing the poundage, though. You were certainly underspined w/ your current set up. You will cause no damage to you bow at all w/ that set up.

Just an FYI, minimum arrow weight is 5 grains per pound of draw weight. So if you are shooting 60#, the MINIMUM your arrow should weigh is 350 gr. Most hunters like to get closer to the 6 grain per pound rule. I, myself, like it right around 5.8.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:51 PM

so im safe wiht the current setup at 4560's?, i know my broad head weighs 100 gr. for sure, then whatever the arrow does, if it was 5 gpp it should be at 300 grains at 60 and slightly lower for 58, so i should be fine right with no damage at all to my bow?

Quick Reply: Arrows, what to get and what size

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.