Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

AAHHHHHHhhhh my bow's buggered up!!!!!!!

Old 07-13-2006, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: AAHHHHHHhhhh my bow's buggered up!!!!!!!

Dave, I had this sameconversation with a corporate guy shortly after I received my newBowTechs this year... I had been shooting in the back yard, and noticed a distinct "buzzing" after a few shots.I was scared to death that I had splintered a limb or something (this was my first real experience shooting the bows for any duration of time, andall I could think of at the time was the proliferation of all those limb threads on the other site which turned out to be mostly bogus)...

Closer investigation revealed I had a mod screw backing out; a few turnsof the wrench, and all was good again. Anyway, the next time I was in contact with someone working with the company, we talked about it. He explained howdifficult it is to make the consumer happy:If the factory loc-tites them in, it's going to hear complaints about how hard they are to break loose, and how it's supposed to be a customer-friendly experience to simply interchange them. If the factory doesn't loc-tite them, you're going to hear complaints like yours above. After thinking about it myself, Iunderstand. I also agree with the company's end decision to not loc-tite them in, as I playedwith mine several timesswitching them in and out until I agreed on asetting. THEN I could simplyglue them inafter I decided which ones I wanted long-term.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:43 AM

ORIGINAL: gibblet

i'd like to know just what loc-tite is and why it tastes like sugar.
I think it smells like walnuts
Old 07-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

WWAG,
How many shares of Bowtech stock do you own anyways?
Old 07-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Greg, that makes perfect sense- I wouldn't want mine "loc-tited" from the factory. I swapped mods back and forth before deciding on the smooths myself.
The dab of stuff I was referring to wasn't exactly a permanent or semi perminant loc-tite, but more of a non slipping agent that filled some of the threads with the substance so they won't vibrate out.
I wishI could remember exactly what they were on, I think itmight have been scope mounts or base screws with my savage striker (I'm not pulling them to find out) , maybe somthing I put together for my son.

I'm Happy to report that thanks to this thread my screws are now drying from a Blue loc-tite in a red bottle application.

A little tip- loosen both screws before removing & reinstalling each one ata time. One of mine was in a slight bind until I loosened the other- had I kept going with it I may have stripped the bolt out.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's pretty obvious to me that the screw came loose while HE was shooting and HE could have and should have checked everything over if HE heard something vibrate. If HE didn't hear anything vibrate at the end of the shooting session, HE should have checked his bow over before the next shooting session.. I check all my equipment over before shooting and keep a watch on all parts while shooting. I also don't have problems that make me wait for new parts to come from the manufacture, while I let everyone know that my BOW has problems

Again, I'm glad to hear that BowTech stepped up to the plate and shouldered the responsibility of fixing something that probably shouldn't have been covered under warranty. This makes me feel good to know that IF I should ever have a legitimate warranty concern, BowTech will be there to help out and get me shooting again.
You should relax a bit more. The next time I do something stupid I won't mention it here and the next guy who might be in the same potential situation can go through it himself and take his own lashes. Did I say that Bowtech was "giving" me new limbs? No I didn't. I said they were rushing me a set and would have them in time by my bear hunt thats all. You can go ahead and assume what you want. I never said Bowtech "had to" do anything just that I hoped they would. All I want is to have my bow all setup for my upcoming bear hunt which due to an excellent customer service at Bowtech will be. Even if this is an expensive lesson for me I still consider Bowtech the best bow on the market and the reason for that is its likely got some of the best people in the business. Maybe its the summer heat but I find this forum is losing its "archers helping archers" and turning into alot of needless conflicts. I think it may be time for me to move on.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:19 AM

ORIGINAL: walks with a gimp

Is it just me or are there others out there that do routine maintence and checks on their bows often? I wouldn't hold someone else responsible if I didn't get the oil filter tight on my truck when I changed oil and it ruined my motor. I don't think it's BowTech's responsibility to supply another set of limbs to correct someone's lack of routine maintence but maybe they will anyways.

Good luck..
Here's my first post. Read it again and realize it's my opinion of what should have been done and why I didn't think it was BowTech's fault that the limbs got scratched.
I was attacked or called out on this post and I then gave the reality of what happened and what didn't happen in this instance. I wished the owner luck in the matter and I don't think I deserve being discredited in any way for someone's lack of responsibility and then making it a public display for all to take sides on this forum.

I don't think any less of anyone involved in this discussion and as far as I'm conserned the discussion is over.

Good luck to all in the field and on the range
Old 07-14-2006, 12:25 AM

ORIGINAL: TerryM

It's pretty obvious to me that the screw came loose while HE was shooting and HE could have and should have checked everything over if HE heard something vibrate. If HE didn't hear anything vibrate at the end of the shooting session, HE should have checked his bow over before the next shooting session.. I check all my equipment over before shooting and keep a watch on all parts while shooting. I also don't have problems that make me wait for new parts to come from the manufacture, while I let everyone know that my BOW has problems

Again, I'm glad to hear that BowTech stepped up to the plate and shouldered the responsibility of fixing something that probably shouldn't have been covered under warranty. This makes me feel good to know that IF I should ever have a legitimate warranty concern, BowTech will be there to help out and get me shooting again.
You should relax a bit more. The next time I do something stupid I won't mention it here and the next guy who might be in the same potential situation can go through it himself and take his own lashes. Did I say that Bowtech was "giving" me new limbs? No I didn't. I said they were rushing me a set and would have them in time by my bear hunt thats all. You can go ahead and assume what you want. I never said Bowtech "had to" do anything just that I hoped they would. All I want is to have my bow all setup for my upcoming bear hunt which due to an excellent customer service at Bowtech will be. Even if this is an expensive lesson for me I still consider Bowtech the best bow on the market and the reason for that is its likely got some of the best people in the business. Maybe its the summer heat but I find this forum is losing its "archers helping archers" and turning into alot of needless conflicts. I think it may be time for me to move on.
TerryM, you,, didn't prompt me to make the post I did above. I'm totally at ease with you and I'm glad to know that your bow will be taken care of. I also agree that there are way too many posts,, that turn normally civil conversations or discussions into "needless conflicts" as was the post I replied to.