Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

couple of newcomer's questions

Old 06-29-2006, 10:21 PM

Default couple of newcomer's questions

I've only been shooting a bow for about6 months, at a straw bale about 35 yards down in my yard with a really old Golden Eagle compound, 70 lbs with 50% let-off. Just starting to get good and hit bullseye regularly,enough to have caught the bug!I find I shoot better instinctively than with sights. Is this typical for a newbie/ should I continue using sights anyway in order to be a better shot down the road? Also, I'm considering buying a recurve, maybe 55 lb draw? Specifically, an Internature TD Hunter, does anyone know if this is a good bow, and why it's so much cheaper than any other? One last question, how does draw weight affect range? That is, my 70 lb-er will easy shoot 200 yards, or about 80 with any(not much ) accuracy, will that change dramatically with a 55 lb or even less draw weight bow, or in changing from compound to recurve? Anyway, I know this is a long post, thanks for the time to read it and I appreciate any advice ya'll may have for me!
-Drew
Old 06-30-2006, 03:12 AM

Default RE: couple of newcomer's questions

Aloha drewn2,
Welcome , I to am a semi newbi Keep asking your ????'s cause they will get answered and you will progress .
All I can say about your site ??is , I bet most archers will tell you if its not broke dont fix it. I wish I could hit targets without a site but Im so used to them , I cant change it now , Im dialed in . If you can accurately hit your spot go with it.
Talk later [8D]
Old 06-30-2006, 06:34 AM

Welcome to the forums!

I started out with a Pearson Bushmaster or buckmaster and could not use my sights. I would look down the arrow and was very effective with this method. I bought another bow and started using the sights.You might think you are consistent with no sights but get used to those sights you'll be happy and more consistent. Just get some good anchor points and practice, practice, practice!
Old 06-30-2006, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey if shooting instinctive works for you, do it! Do you know how many wish they could? It can and will make you a better hunter. Dance with the one that brung ya.