Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Crimson Talon & similar Bhead question

Old 06-17-2006, 10:29 PM

Default Crimson Talon & similar Bhead question

Does anyone have any experience with the Crimson Talon line of broadheads?
Talon, Raptor, Gator, etc.
Do they actually work well? How about the claim of puting sufficient spin on an arrow to make up for straight fletching, etc?
How about performance on game?

I'm looking for some thoughts on their worth. Was thinking of getting a set of their cut-on-impact heads for use this fall. (Gators, I think)
Old 06-18-2006, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crimson Talon & similar Bhead question

Much better heads on the market. That is unless you really need fancy graphics and a pretty color's in a broadhead?

Check out Wasp heads if you want a simple, reliable head that has been proven for years! They also have one of the hardest tips you can buy!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

I shot a deer with the crimson talon last yearand the BH only went half way through. Luckily made a good shot. I believe this was because you couldn't sharpen or replace the blades. Go with the Slick Trick
Old 06-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have been using 75 grain muzzys for 6 years with the bone chisel tip,they work wonders

Old 06-18-2006, 07:54 PM

The main reason I was asking about these was because of the claim that the airfoil bladesput enough rotation on the arrow to make up for small and/or straight fletched vanes.

Otherwise I would just stick with my old Bear or Woodsmanheads.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:08 AM

I would like to hear some feedback on the rotation thing also, so I'm gonna bump to the top.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have tested several of their heads. All will kill game, but the blades tend to be weak and not real sharp. The Crimson talon head is fairly large by todays standards and does fly well for it's size. They are supposed to have up graded the blades this year and I should have some new ones on the way for testing. If they show up I will test them and get the results put out.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:23 PM

i have used muzzys for years and my cousin who is a guide got crimson talons as a sponsor 2 years ago and told me about them last year so i switched to them and i love them. i have not had a deer go further then 30 yards from impact. we have a dmap stamp for our county and last year on our farm i harvested 14 deer with the bow (12 went to hunters for the hungry) and every shot blew the deer up like a gun shot. my best shot was a doe at 48 yards that i shot in the head and it blew through her skull and stuck in the ground 6 inches. now they arent as tough as muzzys but for 30 bucks for 3 they are worth it cause you wont loose the animal. you will have plenty of blood if you even have to track the animal but like i said i saw every deer drop within 30 yards of the shot and expire fast.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

did you mean to shoot the doe in the head?
Old 06-20-2006, 04:36 PM

yea i did cause she hung around for like an hour and we needed to harvest does and thats the only shot she would give me. i was confident with the shot so i took it but im telling you those talons are nasty. it shattered her skull to pieces and also took out part of her jaw. ive never seen a broadhead do what that thing did and the bone mass that it tore apart. that shot alone sold me on them. also they shoot so true. but i also destroyed a block 4x4 in about a month with them. they are not target friendly at all lol

Quick Reply: Crimson Talon & similar Bhead question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.