Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rangefinder Accuracy

Old 10-30-2002, 03:43 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default Rangefinder Accuracy

Was reading an article in one of the bowhunting magazines I get about rangefinders. Apparently the laser beam they project does not always come out straight and the object you are ranging may not be what your reading is coming off of. The article said before the season you should figure where your beam comes out so you know where to aim it while hunting. The author said he has a range finder that the beam comes out of the lower left hand corner and he has to adjust it accordingly when using it. My question is how do you tell where the beam is coming out? I can't figure out how to do this? Can anyone help?
Old 10-30-2002, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rangefinder Accuracy

I am not sure what we are talking about here. I have used or owned three different bushnell models, one nikon model, and one leica model, and they all have either crosshairs or a dot to aim with. All have been accurate while aiming.

NRA,UBP,BASS Member
New Stanton,PA
Old 10-30-2002, 03:57 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

The article said that the beam does not always come out in line with the crosshairs or aiming device in the sight window. You may have the crosshairs on your target and the range you get may be coming from something behind, beside, under etc, unless i misunderstood the article.
Old 10-30-2002, 04:09 PM

I've seen things on this but here's my take...

Is your shooting skill going to matter if you're off by a yard? 2 yards???

I shoot quite well but as long as I'm within 4 yards I can't differentiate if 'I was off' or if I mis-judged the yardage...

Also - if you sight your hunting rig in based on the readings off your rangerfinder I think you'd be hard pressed to find it being 'off'.

Finally - FWIW - My rangerfinder (bushnell yardage pro cheapest one I could find for 179 from cabela's) is always within 2 yards - which is close enough to me!!! (and it worked well this fall - first time user!!!)

Aim small miss small