Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help Me Understand Balance.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:04 PM

Default Help Me Understand Balance.

Greetings to all. I am new to the site...it is great! Reading the posts, I see a lot of references to "Bow Balance." Could some of you explain proper bow balance and what to look for (how to analize) if my bow is balanced correctly?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-29-2006, 01:10 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Help Me Understand Balance.

For a hunting bow, its nice to have it balanced, so after the shot, there is no quick grasping of the bow handle or flinch develop especially for new shooters.. So If you hold your bow by the handle with thumb and index finger, the bow should not be able to tilt forward or backwards. So when making a shot with a sling, you can shoot open handed or might be able to take the sling off all together. And bow doesn't go anywhere, no torque, etc.

Some guys have star trek stablizers, and in my opinion causes more harm than good. You can use a long stablizer if you have v-bars for a target bow to balance them. It will make your sights stablize quicker. But way I figure why not get a 45" axle to axle bow if you want that much forgivness.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:26 PM

There are many different theories of what makes a balanced bow. Some want it to roll forward after the shot. Some want a slightly neutral balance, not much roll either forward or back. The longer stabilizers used for target help slow the pin movement, but are not very practical for hunting. A little weight, properly placed on even a hunting bow, can really help with how it holds and shoots. It really all comes down to personal feel. Don't rule out back weights, especially if you have a rear stabilizer hole.

Sorry I did not really answer your question, but it really is up to you. Try different weights and lenghts out.

JMAC
Old 06-01-2006, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the info. I am a bowhunter and have been shooting the same ole' bow for 17 years. For a self taught, pull/aim/release kinda guy (never dug into the technical side of things) I have been very successful, but lately have wanted to know more about what I can do better. I do catch myself gripping at the bow, because it wants to jump out of my hand. When holding the bow as stated in the first post, it will tilt back a full 90 degrees. I will try the stabilization techniques and see what works best for me.

Thanks,

Tony
Old 06-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

huntinhillbilly !

Myself i like a bit of a forward roll , If your bow jump's after you shoot ,I'm surprised that you can hit a target with any consistancy,i'm sure your arrow's are all over the place . Take your bow to the shop and try severel stabilizer's before you buy . I'd try a 6" 10oz get a slight forward roll ,and I'm sure your shooting will surprise you .
If your bow is jumping your definately under stabilized ,and your arrow's are most likely all over the place ,do not grip the bow this will also affect your shooting ,just let the bow layin the crease on your palm and thumb .
I'm sure you'll notice a big difference with a new stabilizer and this technique.

nubo

nubo