Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Release placement on short axle bows.

Old 10-29-2002, 08:20 PM

Default Release placement on short axle bows.

I have a question that may not make a difference but would like to ask anyway
I shoot a Pearson Diamondback which is only 31" axle to axle.
The question is:
On short axle bows is it better to use a string loop to eliminate uneeded torque below the knock point on the string??
Or, better to place the caliper right on the string itself under the bottom knock??
I found that when I sighted in with the string loop and then removed it and placed the release directly on the string it caused my arrows to drop considerably around 6 inches at 15 yards.
Does the string loop cause a more consistent shot, and better arrow flight????
Or does it even matter which way you go????

The Brown-Down is ON!!!!
Steven J. Collins (Trock63)
Bowdaddy Productions
Old 10-29-2002, 09:34 PM

Default RE: Release placement on short axle bows.

I shoot a 32" a.t.a. bow and put my caliper release directly on the string. Doesn't seem to hurt anything although the string angle passing through the nock is quite sharp. I also use a T.R.U. SpeedNok that aligns the peep sight and is supposed to reduce nock pinch due to its rounded design.

A string loop would probably make for a more forgiving setup, however. I may try one next year.

HuntingNet Member since Spring 2001
Old 10-30-2002, 04:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Trock,

Generally speaking...yes, it does in most cases. There are other factors that also need to be considered though...most notably draw length. The longer the draw length in conjuction with the short axle to axle length bow causes more of a string angle.

So, one could basically deduce that the longer the draw length the more of a need for a string loop.

Having said that though I will also say that I have shot many, many of the 33 inch and under bows with just a brass nockset and and eliminator button and have had zero problems with accuracy and consistancy because of it.

If the loop works better for you then go for it.

Old 10-30-2002, 05:52 AM

I think the biggest reason to use a loop is so you can let down and redraw without the arrow falling off the string, which typically happens when you have sharp string angles with the release attached directly to the string.

Old 10-30-2002, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

On my 31 1/2" ATA Mighty Mite I use the same T.R.U. Nock that The Mouse posted...I also use a Neet eliminator button under the arrow and I have yet to drop an arrow when letting down...All around a very good set up, for me....

I shoot with string loops on my target set ups...

Is a loop better?...It might be for you but not for others...I know there's a lot of people shooting them these days.

Like Frank says if it works better for you then go for it...
Old 10-30-2002, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Diamond Hornet, 30.5" ATA, 28" draw, shoot a scott mongoose straight off the string, directly under the nock which is secured by a TRU Speed nokset pictured above... No problems.

Old 10-30-2002, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the input, I kinda like the string loop. When placing knocks both above and below the arrow how much of a gap should you have for knock travel or should they be just spaced enough to allow the arrow to knock with no gap.

The Brown-Down is ON!!!!
Steven J. Collins (Trock63)
Bowdaddy Productions
Old 10-30-2002, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
...or should they be just spaced enough to allow the arrow to knock with no gap.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

That's the way I see most done. Just enough room to slip the nock in comfortably and not be pinched when drawn.