Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Feathers, Vanetec, Blazers, Flex Fletch

Old 04-24-2006, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default Feathers, Vanetec, Blazers, Flex Fletch

I've been experimenting with my favorites...4" Gateway feathers, along with 4" vanes from Vanetec, the Blazer broadhead vanes, and now fletching some FLP 400s from Flexfletch.......a very low profile vane which may or may not be right for my particular application which is basically for hunting, but if they work very well in stabilizing broadheads AND for 3D, they may become my choice.

Although admittedly I really like my feathers I love the Vanetecs and unless another vane(Flex Fletch, Duravane, etc.) proves to outshine them on my particular setup I will be hunting with them this fall. They are a little on the heavy side, but stiff and very tough as are the Blazers. But it seems at longer ranges the Vanetecs are just a tad better for me. In short, I get better accuracy with better groups time and time again with the Vanetecs over the Blazers and as well as the feathers. And if they continue to impress me they will replace my feathers on my hunting arrows. The neat thing is I have found the Vanetecs are not expensive. Now, on to the Flex Fletch testing.........
Old 04-24-2006, 05:09 PM

Default RE: Feathers, Vanetec, Blazers, Flex Fletch

I've been doing the same actually. I don't like Flex Fletch one little bit. Even with a field point that arrow dances around, zigs, zags and just don't fly good one little bit. I just got the Vanetecs in the other day and have yet to fletch one. Feathers aside, I just haven't found any that do as good a job as my Blazers.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

mobowhuntr, let me know what you think of the Vanetecs. I wasn't estatic at first but the more I shoot the Vanetecs the more I like them. I find the Blazers are ok, but I am not totally pleased with them, although they are tough and perhaps the best memory vane I have ever used. I am finding the Vanetecs to be just as tough and a little better sticking after heavy use.......and that is fletching them the same way. As a matter of fact I am getting ready to strip my Blazer vanes this evening.....think I am replacing them with Vanetecs.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:27 PM

What size vanetecs are you using?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:27 PM

Cougar MAg,
Did you get some of those free Flexfletch samples? Love my feathers just started playing with blazers and turbonocks.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

duravanes, blazers, feathers, flex fletch. Been shooting all 4 at once with fp's and notice little difference out to 50 yrds. And they are on 2 different arrows 5575 hunter GT's and 7595 XT GT's. Have tried the blazers and duravaneson both with BH's and the 5575 hit consistantly 3"right of the 7595's @ 30. It must change I would think at different distances. They also have 3 different nocks. Shot at an orange from 30 the past 2 days and they all make juice if I release right. I've even used 2 different tips and there's no difference. I'm sure the story would be different with BH's but it's kind of fun just being carefree and shooting around with just anything. Feel like a kid. I'll still hunt with the duravanes.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

What size vanetecs are you using?
The 4". Staying with 4" because in the class for 3D I must use 4" and I hunt with 4" anyway.

yep, got some free samples from Flex fletch as did my son.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:03 PM

Well, Cougar, I shot an arrow equipped w/ vantec this evening. I don't think I've ever seen an arrow fly that poorly in all my born days. It was tail whippin, end over endin, whirlin in a circle......not pretty. Strangely enough, it hit where I was aiming though.

Now, to be completely fair, I didn't tune the bow for this fletching. To be honest, as good as that Ole Girl is shootin, I wasn't messin with it one little bit. Being that they hit where I was aiming, I may have been able to tune it out.

Long story short.......my Blazers won't be coming off any time soon.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer feathers myself. I have my own turkey wing feathers cut down by Gateway and use them. I have used vanes over the years, and for my personal preference, using the WB, I like feathers and probably will always stick with them and recycle my wing feathers! [8D]
Old 04-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Well, Cougar, I shot an arrow equipped w/ vantec this evening. I don't think I've ever seen an arrow fly that poorly in all my born days.
If Blazers shoot best for you then by all means that is what you should use. My Blazers shoot almost as well, but I prefer 4" for hunting. I just don't believe a 2" vane can provide optimum performance at long distances using broadheads(personal opinion). Using my Schaffer rest I can shoot any of them cockbird down with no clearance problems. My Vanetecs are shooting bullet holes through paper and very tight groups.....as good as the feathers. I will be carrying both in my quiver this fall.

Quick Reply: Feathers, Vanetec, Blazers, Flex Fletch

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.