Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Feathers, Vanetec, Blazers, Flex Fletch

Old 04-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Feathers, Vanetec, Blazers, Flex Fletch

I've tried lots of different fletchingsbut when it's all said and done and fall rolls around my hunting arrows always have 4" featherson them.I just like the performance i get with feathers and the confidence it gives me with my set-up. >-------------> Mike
Old 04-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would be interested in knowing how those FLPs do with broadheads. Other than those, I can't imagine the situation where any 4" vane would fly significantly worse than any other, assuming a well tuned bow. I did use Blazers, and they did stabilize well. The only time I really saw a difference was with a single cam bow (non-level nock travel type) shooting through a Whisker Biscuit rest. I had 4-fletched some arrows with 2.5" and 3" Vanetecs, and Blazers. All the arrows were shooting at least a little low, but the 2.5" Vanetecs were dipping and diving with broadheads. The 3" were better, and the Blazers best. I finally got tired of trying to tune this particular bow, and put the same Whisker Biscuit rest on my Champion hybrid. All of these arrow/fletch combos shot quite well out to 40 yards, even the 2.5" vanetecs and Muzzy 4 blades. No dip, no dive, no wiggle, just nice straight flight and good accuracy. This year I have gone back to 3 fletch, and 3" vanetecs fletched helical are doing very well with broadheads. I still don't think you can beat feathers for control, but windy or rainy days are not the easiest with feathers.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Banned

I have tried various fletchings but it is hard to beat a feather IMO. Sure they slow an arrow down considerably at long range but 90% of my shots are from a treestand at 30 yds or less and with a 70# Trykon I just can't see straying from the feathers. I will keep watching and listening to all of you to see what everybodys results are but for now no changing the feather with a 3 blade muzzy for me.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yepper, slow or not it is my choice with Crimson Talon blades!