Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Idler wheel wobble

Old 01-11-2002, 11:36 PM

Default Idler wheel wobble

Does a little bit of slop in the idler wheel cause problems?

I got brave the other night and took the string and buss cable off my MQ32 (first time for me; had to have a smoke afterwards...wore the $600 hat, too). I gave the cam and idler a good once over and cleaned the junk out of the grooves and checked them for play. The cam was nice and snug, but the idler had a bit of play in it.

I know that short axle single cam bows like mine put a lot of sideways pressure on the cam and idler. Do I you think I need to have new bushings installed or is this normal?

Thanks!

The Mouse
Old 01-12-2002, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Idler wheel wobble

I may not be the best one to answer your question, but I don't think the idler should wobble any, or if at all very little. Sounds to me like new bushings and maybe an axle are in order.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 01-12-2002, 08:24 AM

Mouse,

I replaced the idler wheel and axle on a Buckmaster some years ago. Jennings warrentied the parts for me. When I received the new parts, I was surprised how loose the tolerances were between the axle and the wheel bushing. For the most part, regardless of bow manufacturer that I have tried there is some wobble on the axles if side pressure is applied. The new axle/idler wheel tolerances were not much better than the older ones visually, but it did quiet the bow down some.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:07 PM

Mouse I just did the same as you with the same bow & great news their is some slop in the wheel I went to my mathews dealer & we took off the string on a SQ2 it was the same as my MQ32 .
Old 01-12-2002, 11:23 PM

Thanks for the info PA hunter!

So I guess the verdict is that Mathews has some pretty loose manufacturing tolerances...or is this by design?

The Mouse

Old 01-13-2002, 07:20 AM

I did'nt ask but Im sure they would say by design ! would'nt you
Old 01-13-2002, 07:46 AM

From my experience with single cam bows, a wobble such as described in the idler gave me inconsistent shots with slight left/right errors as distances increased. I would get new bushings -- and if Mathews bushings are indeed that sloppy when new, I would get some custom made from brass or another copper alloy or get some from another manufacturer. This will be a problem on short A-A bows as the cable gaurd is so close to the axle that the angle that the sting come off the idler is excessive.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:01 PM

Take Rob's advise. Any time you have loose tolerances, it can only hamper the "system" performance at longer distances.

Many of you should also check the tolerances of other parts of your bow as well. Many would be surprised at the limb/limb pocket/riser fit of some bows. Then again, you may not be able to know what is good unless you have something good with which to compare your bow.
Old 01-16-2002, 07:12 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-16-2002, 08:44 PM

NockOn: You should take heed of my last paragraph. The loss of the idler wheel bearings could be caused by another problem.