Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

which arrows should I choose?

Old 04-21-2006, 08:51 AM

Default which arrows should I choose?

I'm giving aluminums some current thought in switching to them instead of carbon. I'm just scared to death I'll have an arrow explode in my hand. I saw someone do it about two weeks ago, and it was horrific, now there's the pic on here in the hunting section, heck, I'd sacrifice speed for the confidence that this wouldn't happen to me.

Anyways, I've read a little about alum's, I don't know what to choose. My arrow length will be 28" though, instead of 27.5", I'm leaning towards the xx75 2216.

WHat do you all think is more important, arrow diameter or wall thickness? I'm going for a light aluminum arrow so I don't sacrifice too much speed, I don't want to be over 400 grains in total arrow weight.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
Old 04-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: which arrows should I choose?

The best thing I can suggest is to go to www.pinwheelsoftware.com and download the free trial version of either the full software (10 day trial) or just the shaft selector (3 day trial version).

That program is a hoot!!! [8D] You enter is your information (bow, poundage, draw length, your sights, current arrows, etc...) and it tells you everything you need to know - and then some!

You can pick and choose different arrow combinations and it will display the "spine marker" and watch it either go from weak to stiff or the best - stay right centered in the middle.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:18 PM

I gotthe "on target software". Pretty much the same. down loaded free from: archerytalk.com
Old 04-21-2006, 06:13 PM

I doubt you'll find an aluminum arrow that weighs under 400 grains with your spine requirements. Look at the Easton Full Metal Jackets for an aluminum outer core for safety.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming your setup is 70#'s and 28 inch arrow as your sig describes and shooting a 100 grain tip you should be looking at the xx78 2315 at 11.7 gpi or the 2413 at 10.4 gpi.
If your looking for the lightest weight in your spine range you will want the 2413.
With the shaft weight of 291.2 + 100 for tip bringing you to 391.2 .Add the fletching and nock,insert and you will still be over 400 grains.
I shot the 2315 xx78 for years before switching to Carbon Express and loved them,Personally I prefere the heavier weight,thicker walled shafts.

Have you thought about the ACC shafts,alluminum carbon,very strong and reliable.

I understand your concern of a carbon arrow exploding in your hands but if you take precautions and inspect your arrow after every shot if in doubt then I see no worries of it ever happening.
I am assuming your friend hit his arrow with another,a rock or something hard and never inspected his arrow.It was likely cracked causing the explosion.
If you feel that you will have more confidence in alluminum shafts then by all means.Check out the 2315 or 2413.
You wont keep the weight under 400 grains but the deer will never know what hit them in practical shooting range.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Butcha, did you find that arrow selector program to provide you with accurateresults?

I just ran it and it said I should be using 340 spined beman arrows for my 60# tribute. I figured they'd be too stiff, but it says they're on the money.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yup.... I bought the cheaper $9.95 version of OnTarget2 and have it downloaded on my PC at work. It is amazing!! I have been toying with different carbon arrows with feathers and 100 grain tips and/or carbon arrows with vanes and 125 grain. Or like mobowhunter, I have been looking at Easton ACC's with arrow wraps and feathers as well. It's an incredible tool to figure out your setup and what is the best arrow to use.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:57 AM
Banned

You could not get me to go back to aluminum. Carbons are tough and durable. I wouldn't worry about a carbon arrow exploding. It was probably a damaged that was shot when you saw that one explode. Use common sense and only shoot good quality arrows.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

In aluminum arrows, although the spine is dertermined by a combination of both daimeter and wall thickness, the weight is more a factor of wall thickness. Truthfully there is almost no way you'll get anything even remotely close to 400 grains shooting all aluminum. With a 2216, which is NOT a light arrow shaft, you'd be hard pressed to be near about 460 grains.

A 2314 would be spined OK for you and would weigh about 455 grains with a 100 grain tip, 4" vanes.

About the closest you can get is with an ACC 3-49 shaft. I know these are plenty expensive because I have serval dozen setting around collecting dust. There is a less expensive alternative in the Blackhawk ACC that have similar specs.

This would give you the best of both worlds with the aluminum core and the rigidity and lightness of a carbon shaft. It's not the lightest in the world but a trade-off.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:00 PM

I shoot XX75 - 2216 Lite with a 125 Gr. Broadhead and have never had a problem. I love my aluminum arrows and wouldn't trade them for anything.