Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

paper tuning help

Old 04-14-2006, 06:13 AM

Default RE: paper tuning help

I am getting pretty close to perfect tears at about 8-10 feet. I am now going to refletch my arrows because the vanes got trashed while tuning it. I had to make a major change in the up and down. I had to move my WB up and my knock point down. I kept track of which arrows flew true and found my number 2 periodically hit tip left. I inspected it and found one of the vanes was lifted up at the front end. This caused drag through the WB. I trimmed the loose end and it worked fine. I should have some refletched in a couple of days. I am going to get some better vanes for the WB.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:36 AM

Well I should be ready tonight. I haven't shot much in the past 2 days it has been over 100 degrees here in Texas. It is cooler today and I have some newly fletched arrows. I fletched 3 in my vanes I have used for 10 years and 3 in the blazers. I will probably hit the paper again before I shoot the target.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:47 AM

Stinkbelly,

Go to http://www.eastonarchery.com. When you come to the homepage, click on the download tab at the top of the page and it will bring up a tuning guide for download. The guide is 32 pages long and will tell you everything you need to know about paper tuning andthe adjustments that need to be made for each particular type of tear while paper tuning.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:27 AM

I might be there. I shot three of each type of vane (old style 4 inch and 2 inch blazers). The old style started wrinkling after 2 shots each. I shot the blazers and saw that I was still tearing right. So I moved the rest left what seemed too far. As I moved it, the tear became smaller and smaller until I had bullets. I had to resite the bow in and after a total of about 2-2 1/2 hours I was damaging arrows because they were hitting at 30 yards.

Things I learned:
Your bow must be tuned if you are shooting a wisker biscuit.
If you are getting an occasional flyer, then it is one of two things. You caused it or you are out of tune. If it happens more often, it is probably the bow.
Blazers are the way to go with the WB.
Paper tune over a couple of days. This way your first shots each day are like they would be while hunting, cold.
If you aren't happy with it, keep tuning it. If you are reading this now, you are obsessed like I am and you have time.

I used a home made paper tuner. Basically I duck taped some wrapping paper across a door frame to my garage. I placed the target at the right height and there you have it. This way you can do it often.
I am now thinking about video taping the WB in action to see what really happens.