Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hoyt - on a positive note!

Old 10-27-2002, 07:48 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-27-2002, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hoyt - on a positive note!

NJ,

The Spiral Cam and a Half has no specific draw length adjustment device such as extra modules or string posts. What it does have is 4 preset holes for the draw stop to screw into. I believe each drawstop hole moves the draw length by 1/8 of an inch. So, theoretically, you could get an extra half inch of adjustment in draw length if you are willing to sacrifice the percentage of letoff issue.

Old 10-27-2002, 11:08 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-27-2002, 02:24 PM

Frank:

I tried to check the factory draw length on the Cam and 1/2 as I stated. I then realized that this was impossible since the tag and box is marked with a draw length range.

I did go back to do some more testing on the Spiral Cam and 1/2. First, the 29" specified draw length measures 29 3/4" when pulled hard against the wall (which is the way this bow should be shot). When pulling until the draw stop just touches the cable (I use a drawing machine to get very precise), I got 29 5/8" (1/8" less).

The bow cam set at the #1 post setting. I moved the post to the #4 setting and it was then 3/8" shorter and had less let-off. You won't get 1/2" as you mentioned because you are starting at a number and moving 3 spaces (1/8" for each space makes 3/8&quot. I did check the let-off at it's highest setting and could only get 61% effective (not AMO) at the factory setting (which was the highest). The Cam and 1/2 did get the advertised 75% let-off; but, it was also effective and not AMO. Most companies bend this rule so I don't find it offensive. My equipment for doing this test is probably not as sophisticated as that which they have at the factory. If you plugged a 5% error possibility factor into these let-off numbers, they would be close - but they're not AMO!

And one thing I want to make perfectly clear, all this is typical data for 98% of the bow companies in the market today, including the other top players out there. You have to also keep in mind that I'm testing 'production' equipment. Hoyt is just using the best data they can obtain to meet the advertising ploy that has become a standard of the general market by Ad Execs over the past 10 years.

Edited by - Len in Maryland on 10/27/2002 15:33:06
Old 10-27-2002, 04:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Len,

I think that last paragraph of yours brings up a good point...something that alot of folks don't understand when they see advertised speed ratings or advertised specs on bows.

You are also correct in reference to the drop stop peg adjustment....but I do wonder if you happened to remove the draw stop peg altogether? What percentage of letoff was recorded then? What about the change in draw length? I am not recommending this mind you but the local shop owner and I did just this when trying to make the valley more comfortable on the Supertec.

As for the typical cam and a half....since both the tag and box give a maximum and minimum draw length for the range...wouldn't it be possible to set the bow to the maximum or minimum draw length setting..ie.."A or F" and then make determinations from that? The reason I am so curious with this issue is because I was hoping to get away with shooting a "30 inch max" model instead of having to order the 31 inch max model provided the draw lengths were running long...but on the bow I have it doesn't.

Thanks.

Old 10-27-2002, 06:34 PM

Frank: I'm going to be very busy this week; but, I will take time to use my machine to check the draw length on the Cam and 1/2 as you requested. Yes, you're right, I can check the max and min draw length settings and compare them to the advertised numbers.

I'll let you know later.

Old 10-28-2002, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Len as to your findings on nock travel "The nock travel was level but NOT totally straight. There was a definite downswing about the last 2" of the draw cycle. Even with this undesirable situation, it was still a lot better than just about every other typical single cam we have tested." How does that compare to the darton cps system and the true 2 cam bows ?

If information provided by the members of this board have helped you please let us know .
Old 10-28-2002, 12:14 PM

The Darton C/P/S acts just like the Hoyt Cam and 1/2. It can go slightly out of straight but remains, for the most part, level. It, as well, can be brought right back into specs with a little cable twist.

The two cam bows are basically the same. Slight twists of cables can be made to correct any minor nock travel inconsistencies. The two cam bows, however, can be finite adjusted moreso for 'professional' feel. In other words, you can advance or retard either cam for particular shooting form.