Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Paper Tuning questions

Old 10-25-2002, 01:08 PM

Default Paper Tuning questions

What type of paper do you like to use? So far, I've been using newspaper but it almost seems to be a little too weak. I would think something a little thicker would allow me to see what the tears are doing better. I'm occassionally having a hard time judging exactly what type of tears I'm getting. I'm finding it hard to tell where the tip went through compared to where the tail went through, especially if I use a broadhead. I think it's because of the weaker paper. Also, I'm getting a variety of tears. Some perfect holes, some tail high, even some tail right or left tears. I have the arrows numbered and have proven that the same arrow is not always tearing the same way each time. Do you think I can attribute this to just bad form on my part and not necessarily the fault of the bow??

Any other info would be helpful.

Thanks,

-Mike

Old 10-25-2002, 01:22 PM

Default RE: Paper Tuning questions

Mike,

I use a roll of waxpaper because my stand setup stays outside year around. The waxpaper holds up pretty well in the weather, and tears cleanly when shot. Brown grocery bags work well also, if you need something quick.

Aim Hard!
Old 10-25-2002, 07:57 PM

I use a piece of cardboard with a rectangle hole cut in it just a little smaller than a peice of printer paper.I then tape a peice of printer paper over the hole.Shoot from about 10ft., using a feild point with the exact same weight as the broadhead your going to use. Using a broadhead will cause more tear than you want.Shoot several times until you see a tearing pattern, and adjust accordingly.
It is very important when you put on a broadhead to make sure it is true with the shaft,using an indicator.If its not, this will cause problems.Feild point weight and broadhead weight need to be exactly the same. Hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-27-2002, 08:12 PM

Paper: I use brown kraft paper that I get surplus from work. It works better than newsprint because it is a little stiffer.

Different tears: I get different tears like you are describing. 99% of the time it is because I am torqueing the bow in some way. Try to be as consistent as possible from shot to shot.

Old 10-28-2002, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use freezer paper it seems to be just right .

If information provided by the members of this board have helped you please let us know .