Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Stablizers out front?

Old 03-29-2006, 08:23 AM
bigcountry

Default Stablizers out front?

I see it many times. I see folks but these long heavy stabilizer out front. I want want my bow to be balanced. When I shoot open handed, I don't want tohave to grab the bow, and with these straight limbed bows these days, they don't jump out of your hand.

Why not put stabilziersthat you can adjust to balance or put behind in some cases the riser?

Maybe its me. You ought to see some of the ones I see on hunting bows. You would think these guys are going to the olympics.

Old 03-29-2006, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stablizers out front?

They do have stabilizers that you can adjust anywhere, that's what side bars and v bars are for. And the reason you see people with the longer stabilizers is because they help minize the range of movement, also known as pin float when holding on a target. No one out there can hold a bow completely rock steady, some are better at it than others, but a good stabilizer setup that gets the weight out and away from the riser of the bow will help reduce that pin float dramatically. The stabilizer on my FITA/Indoor Spots bow is 31.5" long....yes it dips forward at the shot but it holds MUCH steadier than my Allegiance with a short 12" long stabilizer.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:50 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Rick James

They do have stabilizers that you can adjust anywhere, that's what side bars and v bars are for. And the reason you see people with the longer stabilizers is because they help minize the range of movement, also known as pin float when holding on a target. No one out there can hold a bow completely rock steady, some are better at it than others, but a good stabilizer setup that gets the weight out and away from the riser of the bow will help reduce that pin float dramatically. The stabilizer on my FITA/Indoor Spots bow is 31.5" long....yes it dips forward at the shot but it holds MUCH steadier than my Allegiance with a short 12" long stabilizer.
Oh absolutely, this is all known. What I am saying is, these are hunting bows? If all a guys is a competitor, totally agree. But they are hunting bows, and I see guys going in the woods, with a 8" stabilizer. A guy needs to practice if he can't hold a pinon a deer at 25 yards without a 8" stabilizer.

If they wanted forgivness, why did they buy a 35" bow? Or less? By yourself a 45" bow, believe me, pins are much easier to keep steady.

Old 03-29-2006, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt with a 12" stabilizer.....doesn't faze me and hasn't seemed to cause a problem at all. Guess it's all personal preference.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:00 AM
bigcountry

Well, you probably shoot alot and glad it works for you. The more I bow hunt the more I start taking stuff off my bow. You ever wonder why a guy in a shooting lane hit a skoal can at 30 yards, but misses a deer at 20yards?

I have actually see people develop a torquing problem due to the bow drop and they automatically flintch after the release.

Hey bud, I hope I didn't offend. I just didn't figure too many on here would have long stabilizers.

Good luck in the upcoming olympics.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh absolutely, this is all known. What I am saying is, these are hunting bows? If all a guys is a competitor, totally agree. But they are hunting bows, and I see guys going in the woods, with a 8" stabilizer. A guy needs to practice if he can't hold a pinon a deer at 25 yards without a 8" stabilizer.
Nothing personal but I will never understand why many times accuracy standards are lowered because it's "Just" a hunting bow.
Why would we want to shoot the most accurate bow possible to score a couple extra points at a local event, but reduce our standards when it's life or death for an animal?

IMO shoot the most accurate set-up that is comfortable and reasonable for the type of shooting you are doing and do not treathair any different than paper or foam.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:06 AM
bigcountry

Hey Matt you ever wonder why a guy can hit a skoal can at 30 yards but miss's a deer at 15 to 20? Its all that crap on the bow to let him hit 3" groups at 30 yards. Hey don't get me wrong, I used to fall in this marketing trap myself, my bow looks like it belongs on the space station.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Big Country, to me shooting is shooting and the guy who shoots well on the range will invariably be the better shot in a treestand.
for example I have never bought the notion of theJoe Bowhunterwho breaks his bow out a couple times before the season, shoots 3D for fun and flips arrows all over the place counting "Kills" will outshoot the guy who takes the act of shooting serious and where pin point accuracy is paramount during hunting season.
There are always exceptions to every rule, but that's simply not the norm.

I hear it all the time in my club about how great some guys are...that they are "crappy on the course, but deadly in the treestand" Then I hear about the 7 deer they wounded, 10 they missed and 3 they weren't sure about to kill one.

I got a firm example of this 2 yrs ago on a trip to Illinois with some local guys who profess to be good shots and better bowhunters.
When the dust settled the other 8 guys in our group (who don't shoot competitively were a whopping 3 for 11 shooting with 4 lost animals)
Myself and my buddy Frank who DO shoot competitively were 4 for 4 shooting and everything recovered in short order. Coincidence? Maybe.

I know we both generalizing but to imply that the guy who can hit a skoal can at 30 yards won't be able to shoot the same at 20 at live game is kind of silly.

I'm not talking about the accessories or equipment to reach a proficient level of accuracy.......I'm talking about the commitment to be the best you can be with whatever equipent you choose, and for some they try to take the target mentality to the stand and shoot the best that they can. That can never hurt unless of course the actual equipment is impeding the act of shooting.

Obviously target shooting and it's gear doesn't directly translate to a deer stand but the mentality of being the best shot possible can and should.

Archers do not need to be Bowhunters but Bowhunters definitely need to be archers. They are not one in the same.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:37 AM
bigcountry

Matt I agree but disagree. I am not talking about the guy who shoots only before the season. There has to be a balance of the junk on your bow and its huntability. Things that help you on the shooting lane vs things that hinder you in heavy woods. I know for me, using a peep made it tough for me boar hunting. Sure, on the target range, I hold my own. But its a hinderance in heavy woods. Someone wants a super short bow for manoverabilty but then puts a long stabilizer? That makes very little sense.

The cycle of archers I have seen is like this, starts shooting simple, and does well, goes wild and starts putting on every dodad that bowhunter mag throws at them, about 10-15 years later they slowly start removing stuff, and some start going back to fingers. Thats just what I have noticed.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

BigCountry,

As long as we agree that there should be the same standard for desired accuracy regardless of the equipment, then I think we agree on the most important part.
Archery is an individual sport and what works for one doesn't work for the next, everyone should use whatever equipment they know works for their intended target, be it an animal or a piece of paper.

I just don't care to see animals given the poopy end of the stick. and I was getting the feeling that's where things were heading.

Quick Reply: Stablizers out front?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.