Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Stablizers out front?

Old 03-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Stablizers out front?

Nothing personal but I will never understand why many times accuracy standards are lowered because it's "Just" a hunting bow.
Why would we want to shoot the most accurate bow possible to score a couple extra points at a local event, but reduce our standards when it's life or death for an animal?
I think you two already got to the point of mutual understanding but I have to say that this is an issue that I have been struggling with for quite some time. As BC put it...

There has to be a balance of the junk on your bow and its huntability. Things that help you on the shooting lane vs things that hinder you in heavy woods.
...some accessories/setups are exceptionally helpful for obtaining the utmost accuracy out of your bow on the target range but can be nothing but a hinderance or detriment in the deer woods. As he mentioned, that balance needs to be maintained. As Rick mentioned above, he hunts with a 12 inch stabilizer. That might work for him and he might not find it inconvenient but I bet the majority of archers would....myself included. Add to that list sights that extend far away from the riser of the bow or sight pin heads that are extremely small or even bows that are excessively heavy....all of which would add to stability and accuracy on the target range but that might be detrimental when carrying or shooting out of tight quarters.

This also makes me think of a discussion that Mike and I had down at the shop the other day about the hunter class of 3D shooting. It seems everyone always wants to push their setups to the limits of the rules to get the utmost out of their setups without really considering whether or not they are actually "honoring" (for lack of a better word) the spirit of the rules in the first place. For example, when they put a 12 inch stabilizer rule in place then everyone is trying to get as close to that 12 inches as possible. When they put a restriction on fletching size or arrow speed or sight design then everyone seems to always find a way to get as close to the absolute limit of those rules without breaking them.

Though it tends to follow the letter of the law I honestly believe it defeats the spirit of the law.

Sorry for the rant but for some reason this subject irks me a bit.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:18 AM

How about a skoal can at 50 yards!

This week I’m removing my 6 inch fuse axium stabilizer and going to install the 10 inch fuse axium stabilizer for open country spot and stalk hunting. I guess I’m heading the wrong way and I have a long ways to go before I start shooting fingers.

I’m looking forward to seeing the results of a longer stabilizer with my longer ATA bow. So far from the people who hunt in my conditions, they highly recommend the use of a longer stabilzer. Anybody need a 6 inch fuse axium stabilizer in HD green?

Old 03-29-2006, 10:28 AM

Some bows just need that weight out front to even be shootable. Case-in-point: I have a carbon fiber bow in the shop that I set up. It's an awesome goat hunting bow since it only weighs 3 lbs rigged, but when I shot it all that changed. The top limb of the bow kicks back so hard that the rest cuts into the top of my hand when shot without a stabilizer. It took a 10", 16 oz. stabilizer to tame that rascal. Now the benefit of the light weight short bow is gone. Poor engineering on that one. (Before I get harshed out for having poor form that is causing the problem let me clarify that I've been shooting all kinds of bows for over 20 years and I shot this thing with all kinds of grip styles with the same effect. It's the only bow I've come across that does this to this extreme.)
Old 03-29-2006, 10:30 AM
bigcountry

I think most on here shoot alot. But see alot of people develop a read bad torque using those stabilizers.

Lets face it folks, if your on this page in March, then most likely you shoot all year around. But I know alot of people who only shoot in Sept.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:33 AM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I think most on here shoot alot. But see alot of people develop a read bad torque using those stabilizers.
When I shoot my bow you might as well cut all 4 fingers off of my left hand. They don't even play a role, thus don't cause any torque.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:54 AM

How could using a stabilizer cause someone to develope a bad hand torque? Part of the design of a stabilizer is to remove bow torque or create positive (bow falling away) torque.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I have never seen someone develop torque problems due to a stabilizer.........but then again what do I know.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:15 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

How could using a stabilizer cause someone to develope a bad hand torque? Part of the design of a stabilizer is to remove bow torque or create positive (bow falling away) torque.
They put a big one on and the bow drops some of course after the shot. The bow shock causes them to want to catch it. Mentally they develop a habit breaking thier wrist and catchin the bow with the fingers and heel.

But on my bowtech liberty, I have no front stabilizer but have a rear one to balance the bow. I don't need a wrist strap. After the shot with my hand open, the bow is right there were it was before the shot. Even my older PSE Mohave, balanced correctly I can do this.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:26 AM

I have a failry long stab, and heavyon my bow, almost 11 inches I think.
I had a bad torque poblem for a about 3 weeks. Every shot wasoff to the left.It had nothing to do with my stabilizer, but everything to do with my grip. I have since corrected the issue and an pretty darm happy with the way I have been shooting the last few weeks.
I know it is a lot easier to blame the equipment, I adjusted the sight many times still off to the left. Franksaid to check my form.I thought aboutmy grip saw what I was doing wrong and fixed it. It is not always the equipment is my point. Sometimes the shooter needs to change somethign
Old 03-29-2006, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

They do have stabilizers that you can adjust anywhere, that's what side bars and v bars are for. And the reason you see people with the longer stabilizers is because they help minize the range of movement, also known as pin float when holding on a target. No one out there can hold a bow completely rock steady, some are better at it than others, but a good stabilizer setup that gets the weight out and away from the riser of the bow will help reduce that pin float dramatically. The stabilizer on my FITA/Indoor Spots bow is 31.5" long....yes it dips forward at the shot but it holds MUCH steadier than my Allegiance with a short 12" long stabilizer.
exactly

Quick Reply: Stablizers out front?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.